Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Dogs
I champion the use of dogs afield for all kinds >

I champion the use of dogs afield for all kinds

Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

I champion the use of dogs afield for all kinds

Reply

Old 04-05-2019, 02:37 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Dave_Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 30
Lightbulb I champion the use of dogs afield for all kinds

of hunting wherever it is allowed by law and the dog is not in imminent danger of getting shot by canine-haters, including trigger-happy game wardens . A hound or bird dog makes for a warm companion afield as well as a great conservation tool to retrieve downed/wounded game, recover lost wounded game and possibly prevent wounded game in the first place by getting the hunter close for a decisive kill. A pack of hounds on a traditional former-Confederate-State deer push makes for a fast and efficient venison-getting machine much the way a farmer's combine harvester mows down the wheat fast. Still all such deer taken easily down South in wholesale fashion is still legal where dogs are permitted to thin the herds for conservation as long as the hunters are legal and proper. The deer are so populated they are in no danger of becoming extinct even with all the traditional hound pressure any time before the next Ice Age.

I could never see the logic of the American states to prohibit the use of free-run dogs on hoofed game (deer, wild sheep, elk, moose, buffalo, mountain goats, pronghorn) outside the South, could you?

Last edited by Dave_Preston; 04-05-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Dave_Preston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 AM
  #2  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 16,090
Default

Where are you seeing trigger happy game wardens?
CalHunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 AM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,161
Default

Originally Posted by Dave_Preston View Post
of hunting wherever it is allowed by law and the dog is not in imminent danger of getting shot by canine-haters, including trigger-happy game wardens . A hound or bird dog makes for a warm companion afield as well as a great conservation tool to retrieve downed/wounded game, recover lost wounded game and possibly prevent wounded game in the first place by getting the hunter close for a decisive kill. A pack of hounds on a traditional former-Confederate-State deer push makes for a fast and efficient venison-getting machine much the way a farmer's combine harvester mows down the wheat fast. Still all such deer taken easily down South in wholesale fashion is still legal where dogs are permitted to thin the herds for conservation as long as the hunters are legal and proper. The deer are so populated they are in no danger of becoming extinct even with all the traditional hound pressure any time before the next Ice Age.

I could never see the logic of the American states to prohibit the use of free-run dogs on hoofed game (deer, wild sheep, elk, moose, buffalo, mountain goats, pronghorn) outside the South, could you?
well again I think your post is all about making a fuss, spammer like posts so far!

maybe you don't know as much as you think about hunting with dogs

But have you ever thought about the FACT a dog can out run a deer, they can physically OUT run a deer, , run a deer to the point of it being un able to recover, thus killing it
when you have a group of dogs RUN deer, and hunter to SHOOT some of them, the other deer left behind, have also been chased and many can DIE from the of being chased, thus then you have dead deer that NO one is benefiting from!
a waste
and most game agency's are not about waste!
the few states left that still allow dogs for deer hunting, are just IMO very traditional SET in there ways and, have the support to hold this tradition,I do NOT ever see more places allowing it, there are just honestly better ways to reduce deer numbers!
mrbb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:36 PM
  #4  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Dave_Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 30
Default

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
Where are you seeing trigger happy game wardens?
Perhaps, I'm using 'trigger happy' facetiously, but in the Idaho game regs I read that game wardens have
"the right to shoot" loose dogs on wild deer here and that sickens me as a dog lover. There is little compassion
for man's best friend by government authorities here. I don't understand their reasoning.
Dave_Preston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM
  #5  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Dave_Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 30
Red face

Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
well again I think your post is all about making a fuss, spammer like posts so far!

maybe you don't know as much as you think about hunting with dogs

But have you ever thought about the FACT a dog can out run a deer, they can physically OUT run a deer, , run a deer to the point of it being un able to recover, thus killing it
when you have a group of dogs RUN deer, and hunter to SHOOT some of them, the other deer left behind, have also been chased and many can DIE from the of being chased, thus then you have dead deer that NO one is benefiting from!
a waste
and most game agency's are not about waste!
the few states left that still allow dogs for deer hunting, are just IMO very traditional SET in there ways and, have the support to hold this tradition,I do NOT ever see more places allowing it, there are just honestly better ways to reduce deer numbers!
There is no troll thread here. I am dead serious about my passion for dogs afield. There is no joy for ME in packing a gun for game out of doors without man's best friend along.
Dave_Preston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:46 PM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 16,090
Default

I am not familiar with Idaho's game laws but I don't live there. Since you live and presumably hunt there, you should make sure you're familiar with them. I did a quick internet search for this topic and came up with the link below. That's a start. It looks like dogs are prohibited from "actively tracking, pursuing, harassing, attacking or killing deer or any other big game animal" in the state. Based on your statements above, it sounds like you should definitely call Idaho Fish and Game and ask to speak with a warden. They should be able to answer your questions more in depth and help you avoid problems.




https://idfg.idaho.gov/question/dogs-chasing-deer
CalHunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM
  #7  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 11,081
Default

I smell troll!
Oldtimr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:45 PM
  #8  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 16,090
Default

At this point no. He is very pro-dog (and apparently hunting) even if he's on a learning curve.
CalHunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:30 AM
  #9  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,161
Default

Originally Posted by Dave_Preston View Post
There is no troll thread here. I am dead serious about my passion for dogs afield. There is no joy for ME in packing a gun for game out of doors without man's best friend along.
it is LEGAL to shoot dogs harassing deer in MANY states, and the reasons for it, are they can KILL a deer buy having the ability to out run a deer, thus why this is allow din many places
its the FAULT of POOR dog owners that allow there dogs to run wild and chase deer and other game , when there NOT allowed to do so!
if you find NO joy in carrying a gun presuming game WITHOUT your dog aside you, I suggest sticking to game animals that you can legally do so, OR move to places that it is allowed
as breaking the law can get your beloved dog killed legally! and who would want that!

MY dogs have been like children to me, so I can relate
but I also as a responsible dog owner, never put them at risk, break the law just to MAKE me happy!
lots of laws we have I don't agree with, but I would not put my dogs life on the line to break any of them!
mrbb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:47 PM
  #10  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Dave_Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 30
Default

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
At this point no. He is very pro-dog (and apparently hunting) even if he's on a learning curve.
Thank you, Mr. Moderator. I have not hunted deer since 1996 and have a hankering to get back into it when I move to northern Indiana this summer. This will be whitetail country with mostly flat land and rolling hills much like the South. I'm trying to formulate ideas about how to do DIY deer hunts from a blind or stand. If it will be a mile or more from my truck to the deer stand, I will need a good method to move myself, my blood-trailing dog, my gun, my gear and my deer to/from the truck where it's parked. When I hunted deer, I had a paid guide on his own ranch in Trinity County, northern California near neighboring redwood country. He had his own hound and his own Dodge 4x4 truck. We only had to drag my buck 100 feet by the antlers and he was able to go back home and get his truck as it was . He was able to handle his own dog on the leash and since I was on a walking hunt, there was no stand or blind equipment to deal with.
Dave_Preston is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service