HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I champion the use of dogs afield for all kinds
Old 04-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Dave_Preston
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
At this point no. He is very pro-dog (and apparently hunting) even if he's on a learning curve.
Thank you, Mr. Moderator. I have not hunted deer since 1996 and have a hankering to get back into it when I move to northern Indiana this summer. This will be whitetail country with mostly flat land and rolling hills much like the South. I'm trying to formulate ideas about how to do DIY deer hunts from a blind or stand. If it will be a mile or more from my truck to the deer stand, I will need a good method to move myself, my blood-trailing dog, my gun, my gear and my deer to/from the truck where it's parked. When I hunted deer, I had a paid guide on his own ranch in Trinity County, northern California near neighboring redwood country. He had his own hound and his own Dodge 4x4 truck. We only had to drag my buck 100 feet by the antlers and he was able to go back home and get his truck as it was . He was able to handle his own dog on the leash and since I was on a walking hunt, there was no stand or blind equipment to deal with.