Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 What to do with hog meat??? >

What to do with hog meat???

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What to do with hog meat???

Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to do with hog meat???

I have always taken my deer to processor, but now that I'm on a lease with hogs, want to do the processing myself. When I hear you guys say ice it in a cooler, draining it off and re-icing for few days, do you mean with the meat actually against the ice? I thought I read that you aren't supposed to let your meat contact the ice. Does this matter?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just open the bags of ice and pour it over the meat. As the ice melts the blood will drain out of the meat and take away the wild taste.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:20 PM

i usually just leave mine in the cooler for as long as it takes for the ice to melt. in warm months i'll only leave it for a few hours and is usually sufficiant to get the job done.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 AM

Before you start cuttin. . . soak them a few days. I use a BIG ice chest and leave the plug open then I just keep the meat covered in ice and let the blood drain away. Turn the meat now and again etc. Some folks use a bit of salt to help things along.
Then back strap and tenderloins into steaks, hams, maybe BBQ and the rest I grind for breakfast sausage or just ground meat for Tacos, Chili etc. I mix the ground Pork and Deer quite a bit too.