Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 remington ammo = junk >

remington ammo = junk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington ammo = junk

Old 11-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: remington ammo = junk

Also my math sucks as the cost of the Winchesters is .85 p/shot...really do need to come to grips that the reading glasses are becoming more and more a permenant fixture.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Must be the polish in ya How is going Rod...Coming down to Somerset this year?

I've shot probably 10 boxes of Rem Core-lokt's out of my 30/.06 with out a failure. I have since switched to Win Ballistic Silvers and I'm glad I did.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:32 AM
DM

BEFORE i proclaimed "any" ammo junk, i'd want to pull that round apart and have a look see!! (i'm NOT saying you don't have a bad round though)

There are many things that can, and does cause miss fires. Most common one i've seen is a fireing pin that doesn't strike hard enough EVERY time. The most common reason i've seen for this happen, has been, sticky oil ect.. inside the bolt "slowing down" the fireing pin!!

Now, for junk ammo: I have a small box full of factory ammo that could be classified as "junk" useing the origional posters words....

I'm going to name a few here, Federal shot shells with the primer in sideways and crushed, Winchester 44 mag shell with the primer upsidedown, Winchester 44 mag shell with a primer ect.., but NO FLASH HOLE! Winchester 458 win mag ammo, with the bullet seated so crooked, it wouldn't even chamber! I have many many more!!

I picked on Win. here a bit, because it was Rem. that was called junk in this post.

Point i'm trying to make is, EVERY mfg turns out some "junk" every once in a while!!!

I'd be checking the gun over thoroughly though, because it's more common for the gun to be the problem than the ammo!!

Drilling Man
Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hey JJ! Yes I will be at Somerset in booth J20. I will have once again the full line of Temple Fork rods and some sweet package deals I am putting together. The new TFO TiCr-X is a monster of a rod in the hands of an experienced caster. Not to forgiving if you blow the timing. Ya gotta check em out. I am also doing the College Park, Marlboro mass, Wilmington Mass, Waynesboro Va. and the new Rhode Island show. Gonna be a busy couple of months
Old 11-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

But for 90% of hunters, this ammo is very adequate as shots will be very close.
Big country before i started reloading for my 308, i think i might have mentioned it to you before but I used remington express .308 150 grain core lokts, the quote cheap junky ammo some have said in this thread. I would zero my .308 2 inches high at 100 yards would roughly put me dead on at 200 yards but at 100 yards this ammo would hold 1 inch groups or less and my best 200 yard group was 1.75 inches which is plenty accurate for hunting applications. Those core lokts also have been responsible for two 300+ yard whitetail 1 shot kills for me too. Im sorry some of you dont like them but as for me I will keep using them as they have been good for me. and I will continue to use the brass for reloading aswell. I also keep a box of them as back ups since my reloads and the core lokts have a point of impact within an inch of eachother at 100 yards. just wanted to put another 2 cents into this thread
Old 11-17-2004, 06:40 PM
bigcountry

Rod, a heafty dent around the primer is a sign of excessive headspace. Another is loose primer pockets and primers falling out. Hey man, your happy thats all that matters.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

rod smith with that 270 it could very well be a headspacing issue but with a 35 remington it shouldn't be since its a rimmed case. whats the make and model of those guns? Ive heard of problems with marlins in the past that were chambered in 35 remington that had problems with detonating primers a buddy of mine had this problem with his turned out to be the hammer spring lost its tension.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

HDW, The guns are in fact Marlins, both are 336CS Mfgr dates are 1984 and 1991 I believe. Only 1 of the duds failed in the newer of the gunz. The 270 is the Rem 760 pump. Here is the thing, the duds all happened within a 2 week period with ammo purchased at the same time at the same shop. After the problem I made it a point to shoot off all the Rem ammo I had and make the switch. Havn't had a dud from that date on. Now I am not one to put on blinders and avoid a possible problem, how do I check for hammer tension? BigCountry, the dents are in or near the center of the primers not around it, sorry if that was misleading. In either case I have started to reload now that I have all this Rem $ PMC brass and it may take some time but I will get the proper loads for my gunz. Also have to work up a nice load for the new 336D, also in 35..yeah I do like that round for the NE whitetails.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:02 PM
DM

with a 35 remington it shouldn't be since its a rimmed case.
NOT true!!!

Yes, it headspaces on the rim, BUT, if the breech block sets back, it can create excessive headspace!!

A friend of mine, had a Win 94 in 30-30 that was misfireing. Gunsmith first replaced the fireing pin, that didn't fix it, then he realized the breech block had too much play in it, and there was excessive head space!!

Drilling Man
Old 11-19-2004, 11:21 AM

With the comment "The primer on the cartridge was setting way to far in. The primer was just barely struck by the firing pin.", I would guess it is a defective primer that is missing the anvil, the primer pocket was cut too deep OR possibly the primer cup too short.

With the sheer volume of ammunition ALL manufacturers put out, EVERYONE WILL GET defective fliers of one sort or another on occasion. It's simple probability and statistics. The only thing that could possibly make one manufacturers ammunition less prone to defects is greater process controls and preventative maintenance on their equipment. This costs money... which you pay for eventually at the sporting goods store when you buy a box of more expensive rounds. With 'expensive' rounds, there will EVEN STILL be some defective rounds over the course of a couple million loads but probably less in number than with the 'cheap' rounds.

I don't believe in the old addage 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to ammunition. Hence, I load my own and inspect every component of every shell at some stage in the game. Just because a box of Brand X shells may cost $100 doesn't mean there isn't 20 duds in there.

To the guy that said Remington doesn't put as much powder in their shells - this is likely by design. Different powders have different maximum charges (not to imply that any manufacturer uses a max charge in any factory load). The powder that Remington uses for a particular load is probably different from that used by Winchester for their equivalent load and Federal even different yet (I'm sure of this seeing as how dirty Federal factory loads are when fired). Brass volume is different between manufacturers, too.

Quick Reply: remington ammo = junk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.