HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - remington ammo = junk
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Quack Addict

Default RE: remington ammo = junk

With the comment "The primer on the cartridge was setting way to far in. The primer was just barely struck by the firing pin.", I would guess it is a defective primer that is missing the anvil, the primer pocket was cut too deep OR possibly the primer cup too short.

With the sheer volume of ammunition ALL manufacturers put out, EVERYONE WILL GET defective fliers of one sort or another on occasion. It's simple probability and statistics. The only thing that could possibly make one manufacturers ammunition less prone to defects is greater process controls and preventative maintenance on their equipment. This costs money... which you pay for eventually at the sporting goods store when you buy a box of more expensive rounds. With 'expensive' rounds, there will EVEN STILL be some defective rounds over the course of a couple million loads but probably less in number than with the 'cheap' rounds.

I don't believe in the old addage 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to ammunition. Hence, I load my own and inspect every component of every shell at some stage in the game. Just because a box of Brand X shells may cost $100 doesn't mean there isn't 20 duds in there.

To the guy that said Remington doesn't put as much powder in their shells - this is likely by design. Different powders have different maximum charges (not to imply that any manufacturer uses a max charge in any factory load). The powder that Remington uses for a particular load is probably different from that used by Winchester for their equivalent load and Federal even different yet (I'm sure of this seeing as how dirty Federal factory loads are when fired). Brass volume is different between manufacturers, too.