Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 remington ammo = junk >

remington ammo = junk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington ammo = junk

Old 11-15-2004, 09:11 PM

Default remington ammo = junk

I lost a nice deer due to cheep ass corelokts today, pulled the trigger and gun went snap. Just as I was about to wrap my new ruger around a tree I decided to look at the cartridge, good thing I didnt hit that tree. The primer on the cartridge was setting way to far in. The primer was just barely struck by the firing pin. Guys I have been a Remington fan for years but never again will I buy their cheap shells for anything serious like hunting.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:20 PM

Default RE: remington ammo = junk

That just plain sucks! I've been using Remington's CoreLokt's to take deer and target practice for years and I've been lucky enough to never have one misfire with 'em in any of my rifles. Wolf ammo on the other hand I've had 3 misfires over the years, but that's another story. I really think it's horrible that Remington would let something like that slip through the line and end up on the shelf. I've always given the bullet the once over before hitting the field but I think from now on I'll be checking that primer too. You should contact Remington and make them aware of the problem.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:33 PM

Sorry for your bad luck but you must have gotten that one in a million bad shell. I've never used anything but Corelockts for hunting and never had a problem.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:33 PM

That most certainly is a shame.[:@] I've had good luck at the target range with Remington factory ammo but have never hunted with anything other than reloads. I do plan to try out my reloaded .30-06, 165 grain CoreLokts on hogs next month. I am pretty careful at the reloading bench but after reading of your experience I am going to re-inspect my ammo, and probably cycle each hunting round through the action just to make sure it fits.

Hope you get another shot this season!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:18 PM

Maybe next time you should think to check the ammo you're gonna' load before you take to the woods?

Been using Remington Core-Lokts for years - no problems in the field or on the range.
But heh, when you make millions of rounds each year I suppose it's bound to happen that a few will not be up to par.
BTW, if you get so mad at such little things that you're going to wrap your rifle around a
tree - DON'T. Just send it my way.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:07 AM

I quit using Remington centerfire ammo 15 years ago after having a dud. I pulled the trigger on a 10 pointer, standing broadside at about 65 yards. I know this can happen with any ammo, but for centerfire ammo, the Remington Corlokt is the only one that has ever done it to me.

I use Hornady now and am very happy.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

never had a problem with remington express corelokts ever. just about every deer ive killed was with core lokts except for the 2 exceptions one i killed with winchester ballistic silvertips and another with PMC's sierra BTHP gameking loading.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you mean when you say the primer was set too far in? I've been reloading for several years and I didn't know you could push it in too far. I've had them not seated deep enough so I seat them deeper. Please explain.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Yet another satisfied Remington customer. Dont bother to contact Remington they DO NOT CARE! As posted in the Tasco repair thread I have a row.........yes a row of Remington Core Lokt duds from my 270 and 35 rem. sitting here at my desk to constantly remind me of the screwing I took. I have 3 270 rounds and 5 35 rem rounds set up like little soldiers. I wrote and called the company with lot #'s and such, all I got was a "we will look into it" response on the phone. Unlike your dud, mine are struck hard with good solid dents and no Kaboom. BAD PRIMERS! the only thing I will ever use Remington for in the future is the brass to reload. Considering that I shoot alot (in excess of 400 rounds a year) they have lost alot of money on me in the past 3 years. I sure wish there was a way to check that before I go to the woods. No more for me thanks.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

Barnes, deep primer seating if pretty common for reloaders. Most of the time the pockets are cut too deep. For reloaders, I made the mistake also, and cut them too deep by using a primer wisk in a drill to clean out the primer pockets. Don't do that anymore.

Sorry about your deer. Any manufacturing process is flawed, cause humans run it. You should have looked over your ammo however. I know I do. I have to agree remington makes some crappy ammo. Just take out your calibers and measure overall length. Or take your spend brass, and measure neck thickness or buy a batch of coreloks and wiegh them for consistency. But for 90% of hunters, this ammo is very adequate as shots will be very close.

I find Federal to be superior. Even the Winchester Sepreme.

Quick Reply: remington ammo = junk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.