Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A vote for obama is a vote to take away your rights >

A vote for obama is a vote to take away your rights

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A vote for obama is a vote to take away your rights

Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fritz1
Stricter gun laws is not the answer. Criminals dont legaly obtain there weapons, stricter gun laws just make it harder on the law abiding citizen to obtain a weapon.
Not being able to track the path a gun took to get the gun illegally makes it impossible for the government to stop illegally sold guns. People make the argument that you don't punish the law abiding by taking guns away from them for the acts of the criminals, well you have to compromise somewhere, either make it possible for the officials to see which "law abiding" citizen sold his gun illegally or prepare for the continuance of this assault on the 2nd ammendment.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Spike

Also, I already live in a "gun control" state, and it doesn't bother me any. I have to fill out a transfer application, get background checked with every gun I buy, and wait 7 days to pick it up. However, it hasn't stopped me from getting whatever I want.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SpawnedX
Not being able to track the path a gun took to get the gun illegally makes it impossible for the government to stop illegally sold guns. People make the argument that you don't punish the law abiding by taking guns away from them for the acts of the criminals, well you have to compromise somewhere, either make it possible for the officials to see which "law abiding" citizen sold his gun illegally or prepare for the continuance of this assault on the 2nd ammendment.
Most guns used in crimes are stolen, how exactly do you track that?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Spike

Most guns used in crimes are stolen, how exactly do you track that?
Same as if your car is stolen, fill out a police report.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same as if your car is stolen, fill out a police report.
Well once it is stolen and in criminals hands, it can no longer be tracked until it is used in a crime and caught with the criminal. Tracking leagly obtained weapons will not eliminate criminals from possessing them and using them.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Spike

Well once it is stolen and in criminals hands, it can no longer be tracked until it is used in a crime and caught with the criminal. Tracking leagly obtained weapons will not eliminate criminals from possessing them and using them.
Nothing will eliminate it. However, if a guy buys a pistol, legally and then sells them for 150% markup privately to whoever wants one, no age verification, no background check and then that gun goes on to commit a crime and they track that gun and see he was the last owner, never reported it stolen, but doesn't have it anymore, then they now have made it a little more difficult for the criminal element.

The point is, having to have a firearm registered does nothing to infringe on your rights to have a firearm. You keep the gun control nuts happy, because they believe they are changing the world one corrupt seller at a time, and you get a very vital statistic, crimes commited with legally obtained guns versus crimes with illegally obtained guns.

You just created a "look at this" rebuttal to the stupid arguments you hear from people who are afraid of guns.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing will eliminate it. However, if a guy buys a pistol, legally and then sells them for 150% markup privately to whoever wants one, no age verification, no background check and then that gun goes on to commit a crime and they track that gun and see he was the last owner, never reported it stolen, but doesn't have it anymore, then they now have made it a little more difficult for the criminal element.

The point is, having to have a firearm registered does nothing to infringe on your rights to have a firearm. You keep the gun control nuts happy, because they believe they are changing the world one corrupt seller at a time, and you get a very vital statistic, crimes commited with legally obtained guns versus crimes with illegally obtained guns.

You just created a "look at this" rebuttal to the stupid arguments you hear from people who are afraid of guns.

Stricter gun laws dont work!! Look at the crime rates in New York City and Washington D.C., then tell me they work.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Spike

Stricter gun laws dont work!! Look at the crime rates in New York City and Washington D.C., then tell me they work.
How about first you tell me why you are so opposed to registering guns?

The argument of it won't stop criminals from getting guns isn't going to fly with the majority anymore. It's the equivalent of saying laws against murder don't stop people from murdering people, so let's get rid of those laws.

A national gun registration is a compromise, one that I am willing to make over battling it out with the ever growing majority who would just as quickly try to take my right to own a gun period.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have nothing but registered guns, but all im saying is it just makes it easier for the government to confiscate weapons whenever they determine it nessasary. I can commit the same crimes using a fork or a knife as I could with a gun, will I have to register those also? Registering does no good. I lived in Florida for years and I can tell you, take a $100 bill and head to OBT in Orlando, and you, or any criminal can get a gun with in 30 min. Registering guns does not prevent this, it just allows the government to monitor the leagle people. You might as well let them tap your phones while you are at it, read your mail, and so on. Nation gun registration is just the first step. Isnt that how it all started in England?

Last edited by fritz1; 08-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Spike

I have nothing but registered guns, but all im saying is it just makes it easier for the government to confiscate weapons whenever they determine it nessasary. I can commit the same crimes using a fork or a knife as I could with a gun, will I have to register those also? Registering does no good. I lived in Florida for years and I can tell you, take a $100 bill and head to OBT in Orlando, and you, or any criminal can get a gun with in 30 min. Registering guns does not prevent this, it just allows the government to monitor the leagle people.
If the government wants to take guns they are going to try whether they are registered or not. That's when we should be banding together to take necessary actions.

If requiring background checks and transfer applications stops just one person from being killed by a gun, was their life not worth it?

As of right now, the main argument I run up against when talking to anti-gun kooks is that when I point out that most crimes are done with illegally acquired firearms, to which their response is "and where do you think the illegal ones came from first?" I have no rebuttal, because I have no facts or statistics to show, and when it gets to the legislation floor...they aren't going to be listening to opinions, that is for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.