Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bore Sighting A New Slug Gun >

Bore Sighting A New Slug Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bore Sighting A New Slug Gun

Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 AM

Default Bore Sighting A New Slug Gun

I need a little help with this subject. I put a new scope on my H&R slug gun. I need to bore sight this gun before taking it to the range. I was looking in the Cabelas book and saw that they carry a 12ga. shot gun shell that goes in the barrel and projects a red laser beam. I was wondering if this would be a good bore sighter. And if it is, how far away from a wall do you suggest this be done. I am going to sight the gun in for 50yds. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Sighting A New Slug Gun

You can bore sight your gun the low-tech way. Open the action and prop your gun up on a rest sothe vertical crosshair is plumb. Look down the boreat a target 25 yards away and center a specific point on the target in the bore. Without moving the gun, adjust thecrosshairs to that point. You are now bore sighted.

If you use the laser, do the same thing. At 25 yards, adjust the crosshairs to hit the projected laser dot at 25 yds. Then sight your gun in for hunting. Then you may want to go back to 25 yds and make a note of where your crosshairs are located relative to the laser dot. That way, if you bump your scope you can check with the boresighter to see if you are still on.