Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 bore sighting? >

bore sighting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bore sighting?

Old 01-03-2005, 05:34 AM

Default bore sighting?

Can I change scopes on my slug guns, rifles and rimfires and crossbow and sight them in on my bench? I see a bore sighter at walmart for $40 would that help? I really need to get close by that I mean within a foot and then take them to the range.

I wanna fool with scopes and rifles and changing optics will be part of my hobby.I bought a Mueller 2x7x40 with red dot and I'd love to use it on my croosbow, my shotgun, cause it it really great on my ML.

thx for your help
lizzzard
Old 01-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bore sighting?

Are you planning on using the same scope for multiple weapons? If so, you're setting yourself up for more trouble than it's worth. I'd buy a scope for each gun/crossbow so you can sight in once each and be done with it. If you switch the same scope out between different guns the POI will change each time you change the scope, which means that you'll be doing nothing but sighting the gun in all the time. A boresighter is designed for two reasons, to allow a gunsmith to mount a scope so that the scope will be as close to boresighted as possible with the turrets set to center, and to get the rifle on paper at 50-100 yards. A boresighter will NOT sight the gun in to an acceptable level for hunting. You'll hit the target, but beyond that you MUST take the time to sight in with live fire.

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Are you planning on using the same scope for multiple weapons? If so, you're setting yourself up for more trouble than it's worth. I'd buy a scope for each gun/crossbow so you can sight in once each and be done with it. If you switch the same scope out between different guns the POI will change each time you change the scope, which means that you'll be doing nothing but sighting the gun in all the time. A boresighter is designed for two reasons, to allow a gunsmith to mount a scope so that the scope will be as close to boresighted as possible with the turrets set to center, and to get the rifle on paper at 50-100 yards. A boresighter will NOT sight the gun in to an acceptable level for hunting. You'll hit the target, but beyond that you MUST take the time to sight in with live fire.

Mike

I totally agree . You will burn more ammo that what it is worth. Put an optic on each weapon.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
bigcountry

Bore scopes are basically worthless for your purpose due to they change POI upwards of 6MOA or more by the changing position everytime you put the stem in the barrel.

The laser chambering would be ok if they would put the laser in a fireformed case. But I have seen them work well either.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:55 AM

FWIW I just look down the bore on rifles(hopefully not a semi you have) and keep centering bore and crosshairs on target. If you play with it and fine tune it for about 10 min or so I've always been within a foot of the center. Works better than a bore sighter.

I'd assume the laser insert does fairly well also. But don't have one or use one.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you play with it and fine tune it for about 10 min or so I've always been within a foot of the center. Works better than a bore sighter.
I use a boresighter and find that I am almost always within 6 inches of center at 100 yards in about a minute.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:57 AM

You won't regret buying that boresighter. I have two, one that uses barrel spuds for the serious work and a magnetic one to pack along on hunting trips just in case. Both do the job I intended for them and are big time and ammo savers. You might also consider a mount/ring alignment tool of some sort, I was really surprised how many reciever mounted mounts and rings don't line up on factory rifles.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

big time and ammo savers
Whats the difference in doing that and just shooting 25 yards one shot and adjusting to -.5 to -1.2"? Then shooting 100yards and doing one more adjustment?

Old 01-03-2005, 12:14 PM
bigcountry

6 inches of center at 100 yards in about a minute
But to do that, your scope height needs to be the exact same on all rifles or you have to remember the zero on the collimator?

Sorry guys, I am just fed up with my boresighters right now. I guess looking back at hunting season, and seeing all the "one shot a year guys" come in and shooting a new 700 they got at bass pro, and wondering why they ain't cutting x's at 100 yards got me aggriavated.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

But to do that, your scope height needs to be the exact same on all rifles
All of my rifles are built on 700 actions and all use the same leupold mounts and medium rings.After learning the grid on the individual boresighter,you can always at least be on the paper at 100 yards.I don't waste my time shooting at 25 yards.

Quick Reply: bore sighting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.