Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore sighting

Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Bore sighting

Help me out fellers,
My Apex should be in by tomorrow or the next day. I am going to pull the 3-9x40mm bushnell banner off my 30-30 and use it on the Apex for testing new bullets. How do i go about bore sighting? Normally i shoot until its on target but i have to watch the amount of $$$ i spend on bullets so i'll try bore sighting it so i dont have to blow off as many rounds.
How do i go about bore sighting?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore sighting

If you have a stable gun rest, or better yet a gun vice, pull the breach plug and drop the action so you can sight through the barrel at a dot 15 to 25 yards away. Center the barrel on the dot, then, without bumping the gun, look through the scope and adjust till the crosshairs are lined up with the dot. Reconfirm the barrel centering and the crosshairs are both on the dot. At this point you should be on paper out to at least 50 yards.

I perfer to set my dot at about 25 yards and then line it all up as that comes closer to getting me on paper than something closer which tends to put me high at 50 yards. Another rest you can use is a cardboard box long enough to rest your gun on after cutting some notches at the top of the open top, one on each end of the box to hold the gun upright. Good luck with it.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mount your scope solidly. Drop the action, remove the plug, center a distant object then adjust your crosshairs such that they are just a little below that same object. If you do a closer object, center the crosshairs right on it. I think Dave uses the near object while I find it easier to center a distant light or bright object.

Nuttin to it if you can look down the bore.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I did mine last night and it worked out real slick. I mounted the scope solid making sure the cross hairs were level and plum. Then I set that in my shooting rest, with the bore out. Put that on a table 13 yards from a door knob. Adjusted the bench until the door knob was clear, looking through the bore of the rifle. Then sighted through thescope to the door knob. Actually I lucked out and it was right on the money. My first three shots today at 50 yards were only about two inches from where I wanted them to be, a little low and right.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 AM

An easy way to sight in was shown to me by a Gunsmith that claimed he could sight in with one shot. He would anchor the rifle in a vise and line the scope to dead center on the target. Shoot one shot and then move the reticles in the scope to match the hole in the target. Yes, it works.
You can literally shoot a clover leaf or less. No plug pulling involved.
Rock Lock
Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

sight in with just one shot!! Well heck, that takes all the fun out of it.

I have often wondered if a gun vise is worth the money. Other then working on the rifle and for what you mentioned, I see no other use for them.

Someone told me once they took a laser pointer, put that in the bore of their rifle in a gun rest, them moved the scope to the dot on the wall. He said at the range at 100 yards he was only about two inches off target. I always wondered if a person could do that with a small flashlight and then center the scope to the middle of the light beam circle...

What do you think?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bore sighting at 15 to 25 yards will do the job. But the farther you bore sight your rifle, the closer to being on the X will be. I normally try to bore sight between 50 and even out to 100 yards. I takes a couple more minutes, but will save on shots. 100 yards sounds like a long way, but it is not. Your eye will find the center if you trust yourself. Tom.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Bore sighting at 15 to 25 yards will do the job. But the farther you bore sight your rifle, the closer to being on the X will be. I normally try to bore sight between 50 and even out to 100 yards. I takes a couple more minutes, but will save on shots. 100 yards sounds like a long way, but it is not. Your eye will find the center if you trust yourself. Tom.
I agree with Tom.... Boresighting at 100 yds. will give you very accurate results if you TAKE YOU TIME AND USE A SOLID REST. The procedure has been spelled out well enough in the previous posts. Use the bore as a peepsight and the target dead center. Remember to keep the same amount of bore visible as you center the target. Very important!! Adjust your crosshairs to the center of the bull, and constantly re-check your bore picture. You will be amazed at how close you will be if you take your time and re-check sight pictures. (Bore vs. crosshairs). I've done this many, many times, and usually do better than a lot of the laser boresighters.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

A laser boresighter story: Six years ago we had a new guy join our hunting lease. He had a scoped bolt action Rem. 30-06 that he owned for a few years. A week before opening day of the gun season we put him on the bench at the club rifle range and his gun (or he)was shooting about a 100 yard4-inch group,6" left and 4" high of the 2" target bullseye. So we got the scopedialed in to where he was shooting a 4-inch group pretty much centered,with the lowest shots right at bullseye level.

Opening day, he missed a doe about 80 yards out from his stand. That afternoon he went back to the shooting bench and shot at a target - hitting about a foot high. Turned out that after we sight adjusted his rifle, he was at Wal-Mart and bought a laser bore sighter. Then he changed the sight adjustments by using the laser in his living room, and never shot the gun until that shot on the doe. Said he thought the laser would be more accurate than the sight in we did for him.