Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BORE SIGHTING >

BORE SIGHTING

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BORE SIGHTING

Old 09-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Spike

Default BORE SIGHTING

CAN ANYONE RECCOMMEND A QUALITY BORE SIGHTING TOOL. I NOTICE SOME OF THESE LASER ONES YOU NEED TO BE AT THE RANGE TO USE. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IT IN MY BASEMENT. IT SEEMS THAT SOME OF THEM ARE MAGNETIC AND SOME YOU FIT INTO THE BARREL.
ANY THOUGHTS?

EB
Old 09-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BORE SIGHTING

I have an old bushnell collimator that is 20 years old and gives good service. If I didn't have it I like the Leupold magnetic version they sell. Never tried the laser bore sighters and imagine they would work well but they seem to be even pricier then regular collimators.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:39 AM

You don't need a tool if doing it in your basement. I boresight in my garage shop. All you need is a cradle to hold the rifle, and a black sticky dot on a wall thirty feet away. Pull the bolt and move the cradle and rifle until the dot is centered, then adjust the scope accordingly. Doesn't take but a couple of minutes, and will put you on paper at 100 yards.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:36 PM

As Charley wrote, peeking down the bore is a very easy way to bore sight and get on the paper. You can even do it at the range, by putting the rifle firmly on the rest and peering at the bull, with the bolt removed, then correct the scope setting. I do this behind the window of my clock shop. I have to be careful doing this, however, as there is a gas station across the street. One day I saw a man looking rather frightened and pointing at the front of my shop. The sun was just right, and he'd spotted me pointing my rifle at the gas station!! <8^)
Old 09-27-2004, 11:28 PM

Like Charley and Steven, I like the "manual method" even though I do have the Bushnell boresighter.

I tack a white styrafoam "saucer" (6") with a 1" black mark-a-lot bullseye on it to the wood fence of my backyard and then pace off 25 yards and set up a folding table with a gun rest I got from Cabelas. Pull the bolt, sight down the bore. By bobbing your head up and down and left to right and watching the target fade from the field of view, you can determine whether the bullseye is centered in the bore and then adjust the scope to the bullseye.

It is a quick way to get "on paper" AND help in spotting any errors you might make in doing a scope mounting job. Note: if you do this outside, then leave the scope turret caps in the house --- you don't want to loose them in the shuffle.

EKM
Old 09-28-2004, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah the manual method will work sometimes but it is not for all shooters. I went to the range last weekend with a friend who was sighting in a 270 winchester. He went thru a box of federal premium ammo trying to do it his way and I had to interrupt my shooting to spot where his "bullets" were hitting. I shot 2 rounds and got my gun zeroed using the collimator. Cost of box of federal premium 25 dollars cost of my collimator 40 dollars ... loss of my shooting time Priceless
Old 09-28-2004, 07:41 AM

Cost of box of federal premium 25 dollars cost of my collimator 40 dollars ... loss of my shooting time Priceless
oldelkhunter! quit convincing me to buy one more gadget!! <8^) I am still trying to get faster, pulling out the rangefinder and getting a reading before the deer walks over the hill!!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gadgets and useless gadgets are the death of our sport I agree on that. Collimators make my life easier and simple..now if this Bushnell ever breaks I don't know what I'll do since new ones are pretty close to 100 bucks. You mean you bought a laser rangefinder? Tell me that isn't so
Old 09-28-2004, 08:13 AM

Oh yeah, oldelkhunter, I did! Well......it wasn't my fault!!! <8^) First a friend gave me a so called 400 yd. lazer range finder, which was useless on game past 200 yards, but if you wanted to hunt reflecting stop signs in Wy, it was great on them and would read accurately to 400 yards. So, I gave the 400 yard rangefinder to a bow hunter nephew and bought an 800 yard range finder. The 800 yard range finder reads further than I can shoot on game. However, the way that I have found to use the thing best, was a trick from my days as an artillery spotter in the Army. As soon as you stop to glass and do not see game glassing, draw a quick diagram of the area in your notebook and then range find distances to key locations, not unlike an artillery observation post "cuts in" certain outstanding features out front. Then, when game appears, no need to take time to use the range finder. Just glance at the diagram and see which formally noted marker is close to your quarry. Worked like a charm in 2002 when I got my bull elk. As soon as I saw the cows, I noted from my notebook that they were crossing a knob that was 304 yards away!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just checking I'm in the market for one myself not sure which brand but most likely Leica LRF since friends own them and seem pleased with them. Have used the Bushnell product as well and it seems pretty good too.

Quick Reply: BORE SIGHTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.