Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 State Senate Bill takes aim at SHOTGUNS >

State Senate Bill takes aim at SHOTGUNS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

State Senate Bill takes aim at SHOTGUNS

Old 03-19-2003, 04:36 PM

Default State Senate Bill takes aim at SHOTGUNS

THIS POST IS DEDICATED TO EVEYONE WHO EVER SAID " I DON' T CARE IF THEY OUTLAW " ASSAULT WEAPONS" AND I TOLD THEM THAT IT WOULD BE THEIR TURKEY GUNS ONE DAY [:@]

State Senate bill takes aim at shotguns

Illinois firearm owners are up in arms over a new piece of gun-control legislation in the state Senate. Figuratively up in arms, mind you. At least for now.

The specific source of concern is Senate Bill 1195, which has passed out of committee and could come up for a vote this week. The bill would make it illegal for Illinoisans to own or take delivery of a long list of guns that includes " any firearm having a caliber of 50 or greater."

For those who aren' t gunsmiths, that means while you would still be able to own a .410 shotgun or a 38-gauge shotgun - if you can find one - your trusty 10-gauge, 12-gauge, 20-gauge and even 28-gauge shotguns would all have to be turned over to police and destroyed.

The primary sponsor of the bill is Sen. Antonio Munoz, D-Chicago. The architect of the bill is Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. The concern about the bill may be well-founded.

" This is the centerpiece of what (Daley) wanted. This is a message to every hunter and every shotgun owner out there. You are in their sights, too," said Richard Pearson, president of the Illinois State Rifle Association.

Locally, Sen. George Shadid, D-Edwards, said he does not favor the bill.

Frankly, I can' t see how any other senators could support such a ridiculous piece of legislation. As a rule I do not report much about gun-control legislation. But this bill' s attempt to lump shotguns under the heading " semi-automatic assault weapon" is deceptive, to say the least. Conjure up an image of an " assault weapon." Do you see a shotgun in that picture?

I have heard fairly compelling arguments about the need to get Uzis off the streets. I will never hear a compelling argument about the need to get shotguns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. Yet this bill will pass if it receives support from 30 of 59 Senate members.

" If I knew they only had 26 votes (in support) I wouldn' t be worried," Pearson said. " But we don' t know that yet. My gut reaction is if sportsmen get organized we can stop this thing. But if sportsmen aren' t organized. . . "

The Senate bill would not create law in and of itself, of course. Similar legislation would have to pass through the House. And Gov. Rod Blagojevich would have to sign the bill - a signature that would instantly turn Blagojevich into a liar.

Remember, earlier this fall on the campaign trail Blagojevich signed a pledge stating, " I will protect the rights of sportsmen in Illinois to participate in these and other outdoor activities, by making the most effective use of the resources available . . . and by consistently defending their rights to carry out these activities."

Obviously, banning the shotguns most commonly used by hunters goes against that pledge.

To help make that point, the ISRA will hold a rally Thursday morning at 9 a.m. in Springfield. Meet at the Stratton Building Cafeteria, located across from the Illinois Capitol Building.

If you can' t make the trip, call your senator and voice your opinion.

Jeff Lampe is Journal Star outdoors columnist. Write him at 1 News Plaza, Peoria, IL 61643, call (309) 686-3212 or e-mail [email protected]

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/lampe/g154114a.html
Old 03-19-2003, 04:56 PM

Default RE: State Senate Bill takes aim at SHOTGUNS

I saw in the Rifleman that MD has outlawed sales of new handguns without integrated trigger locks. And then the BS with the smart guns in NJ.. Vote early and often!
Old 03-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know where I would be Thursday at 9:00.

Some Senators would be hearing from me too!
Old 03-24-2003, 02:57 PM

bump
Old 03-25-2003, 07:22 PM

Wait a min now, correct me if im wrong. Arent rifles illegal to hunt with in illinois? If shotguns are banned how would people hunt other than .45 and .50cal Muzzleloaders? Man they are just crunching our rights right down the toilet.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:46 PM

[bitter sarcasm]

You got it all wrong. This is an opportunity. Who needs shotguns, rifles, or bows? These are not the tools of a real sportsman. Frankly, I do not consider it a fair hunt unless it' s just the deer, me, and my trusty spork. Hey, anyone can put a broadhead through vitals on a whitetail at 75 yards, and frankly having dangerous weapons like that are just overkill. But try sneaking up on a deer with a Winchester Model 70 Sporkmaster, and you will know what it really feels like to be a hunter.

Of course, it has been discussed whether to pass legislation banning sporks, on the grounds that sporking a deer is also overkill, and children are dying every day to spork related injuries. If this legislation is passed, hunters will be limited to the implements of tickle torture, Irish limericks, and romantic comedies starring either Hugh Grant or Tom Hanks. We must rally against this legislation, because if they outlaw sporks, then only outlaws will have sporks!

[/bitter sarcasm]
Old 03-25-2003, 08:18 PM

LMAO that was too good! But seriously, c' mon this is getting to be out of hand. So this means you cant use slugs for deer hutning so there wiull only be a bow and muzzoading season? I love bow and muzzleloading but i also love my 7mm rem mag and 12 ga sabots, gimme a break!
Old 03-30-2003, 01:07 PM

I live in Illinois and if this bill passes then i will be forced to give up all my shotguns. Then what am i going to hunt with. yeah sure i can learn how to bow hunt or muzzleload, but i like my shotguns. It just wont be the same. I sure hope this ridiculous bill doesn' t pass. If it does any one willing to take me in because im not going to want to live here anymore.