Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Senate bill for Bowfishing

Old 02-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Senate bill for Bowfishing

Hey Guys and Gals, We need your help.[/align][/align]A bill has been introduced that will add shad and drum to the list of legal species for Bowfishing.

Here's what you can do...

Call your State Senator and ask them to support SB2129. Better yet, ask them to be a co-sponsor (Senator Rutherford is the Sponsor). Then call your State Representative and ask them to support this bill when it comes to the House of Representatives.
You can go to http://www.ilga.gov/ to find your Senators and Rep's.

A little background...
This started over a year ago. When people talk about legal speicies for bowfishing, many time Shad and Drum are mentioned. The problem is that they are not currently legal species. So we decided "Why not see if we could make them legal".

I have talked with several IDNR Fisheries Biologists. None of the Biologists I talked with had any reservations about the change. Joe Ferencek originally tried to use the ad rule approach to make this change. After he checked, he told me that the best route would be legislative. He wrote the appropriate changes and faxed it to us and I forwarded it to Sen. Dan Rutherford's office.

The bill was introduced on Friday, February 20.

Here is a link to the bill...

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...ionID=76&GA=96

Kendall Carrigan[/align]
Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Senate bill for Bowfishing

Thanks Kendall for doing this leg work to get this bill passed. It will be nice for KBI-Prez's 1.5 pound state record shad to be legal. I faxed a letter to both my senator and rep. So let'er rip.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Senate bill for Bowfishing

Yesterday i faxed a letter to both my state senator and state Rep. Today i got a reply from the Rep. Bill Black. He said if it passes the house, he would be happy to vote yes for it. Boy, that was fast. He must have been sitting at his deck when that came through. Now if the Corp of engineers act that fast on the carlyle issue..