Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Are Kimber Rifles IT. >

Are Kimber Rifles IT.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are Kimber Rifles IT.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are Kimber Rifles IT.

Well, I have 3-5 posters on here who has shot that sako75. And everyone of them have commented how loose the bolt is. Ask Charlie, (mossyoak33) or Joe, (harley98). I have no issues with the sloppy bolt. I have the gun shooting excellent out to 300 yards and beyond. Cold bore POI, is right there with the rest of the groups. Trigger is great. Stock leaves alot to be desired. I have been meaning to replace but have worked on several other guns. So overall, I have no complaints about the gun. Just mentioning the bolt play.
Ever hear of these accuracy gunsmiths that bush the bolt on a Remington to get the last bit of accuracy out of it? Have you ever heard of anyone doing that to a Sako ? Have you ever seen the play on a Mauser or a pre64 Model 70 ? Knowing what I know now I doubt I ever sell another of my rifles or shotguns to anyone on any board.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:23 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Well, I have 3-5 posters on here who has shot that sako75. And everyone of them have commented how loose the bolt is. Ask Charlie, (mossyoak33) or Joe, (harley98). I have no issues with the sloppy bolt. I have the gun shooting excellent out to 300 yards and beyond. Cold bore POI, is right there with the rest of the groups. Trigger is great. Stock leaves alot to be desired. I have been meaning to replace but have worked on several other guns. So overall, I have no complaints about the gun. Just mentioning the bolt play.
Ever hear of these accuracy gunsmiths that bush the bolt on a Remington to get the last bit of accuracy out of it? Have you ever heard of anyone doing that to a Sako ? Have you ever seen the play on a Mauser or a pre64 Model 70 ? Knowing what I know now I doubt I ever sell another of my rifles or shotguns to anyone on any board.
Sakos are a rarity to build a custom off of. But the 700's used on majority of customs these days. So it makes sense. Oh, yea, my gunsmith makes almost 80% of his varmit gun on WWII mausers. He loves em, and yes, he has to put some effort into. But it really depends on the age of the mauser. You get the ones at the beginning of WWII, they were great, but I owned a few K98's made towards the end of WWII, and you had do alot of work on them. But you have to realize the history of building mausers during that era. I mean you ought to see how little steel they used at the end. And stamped bottom metal.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:36 PM

The reason that gunsmiths use non-sako is that they need the business. I like many have never heard of having to take a sako to the smith. Sorry, you dont need too. Some builders use Sako for customs, but no need to modify to shoot straight.

I for along time have looked at the Kimber Montana. I think its a well-though rifle, but check around, especially pawn shops and used gun stores. There are many Montana's for sale. And if you ever have a chance to shoulder one next to a Sako 75 do it. There is no comparison.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:31 AM

Then you should read your own statement and I quote "they are a good platform, after trueing and accurising, blah blah blah". Eventually, a camaro will run with a corevette, but its still a camaro.

You throw enough money at something and eventually something will happen!
Old 12-25-2007, 05:58 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

The reason that gunsmiths use non-sako is that they need the business. I like many have never heard of having to take a sako to the smith. Sorry, you dont need too. Some builders use Sako for customs, but no need to modify to shoot straight.
So your saying a smith can't improve them? not taking nothing away from sako, but blanket statements like that set my BS detector on "red alert"

The reason most use 700's is, they are a good platform, after trueing and accurising they will shoot with any custom action, this accurising costs 135.00,and there is an abundance of upgrades and aftermarket parts available for them.
RR
I will add to your assessment RR. Brownells offers the action alone. There is probably close to 30 to 1 ratio of 700s to 75. Maybe 60 to 1. So donor actions are hard to come by. Sako barrles are pretty good, but lets face it, they are no krieger or Dan Lilja.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

look star, if your gonna quote me, fine, use my whole statement or nothing, I can buy a remington, rifle or a sako, and when the rifle is done to my specs, the remington is cheaper and will probably shoot better, due to the fact that about all smiths are use to working with rem. actions and know what it takes to make them shoot.
To blueprint a reciever, it takes the same amount of work on any of them except custom actions which are allready been blueprinted, but ya pay for it when you but it. and the best barrel made, won't shoot its best unless the action has been trued and accurised, lugs squared and lapped, and the like.
For the shooting I do I want at least 1/3 MOA, 1/4 is better, but the inside of an inch stuff won't cut it, so I pay to play, but I pay less going the remington route. as far as your anology goes, the only folks who'll state
RR:

Are you trying to say that Remingtons dimensions on their actions are comparable to a Sako? Is that what I am hearing? My gunsmith flat out says that he has had to do minimal to nothing to rebarrel "ANY" sako he worked on and I damn trust his word over the gibberish I hear on this site.

Remington definitely keeps "Remington" gunsmiths in business some of who have less knowledge of a lathe then I do and i only took metal shop one year in HC. There are gunsmiths that are very proficient at making any action work and a better action is worth more then any customized remington because at the end of the day it's still a remington. Last Scintilla of accuracy is not everything RR I thought you would have known that by now. I like reliability,function and then accuracy . They can be had but not by buying a Remington or if you do so heavily customizing it that it isn't a Remington any longer.

BC:
Now back to the original subject which was Kimbers...they are a crap shoot plain and simple you can buy one and it is all gold or it could be a lemon. Last time I checked BC no dealers let you test drive Rifles so if it is a dog you have to unload the dog.BTW please spare the BS when you mention the Sako I sold you. Everyone has made one mistake or another in their life and I made mine selling to you.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

if money was no option, i would buy a Weatherby Mark V and have Weatherby custom build it to suit your needs.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:36 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunterBC:
Now back to the original subject which was Kimbers...they are a crap shoot plain and simple you can buy one and it is all gold or it could be a lemon. Last time I checked BC no dealers let you test drive Rifles so if it is a dog you have to unload the dog.BTW please spare the BS when you mention the Sako I sold you. Everyone has made one mistake or another in their life and I made mine selling to you.
Ed Lopez, grow up. It was business. Thats its. You wasn't doing me an ounce of favor. They were going for750-800 on gunbroker. Only thing extra you had was the bolt assembly without a key. And I could care less about that. You even said yourself, they are going for that on auction arms and gunbroker at that time.