Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Are Kimber Rifles IT. >

Are Kimber Rifles IT.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are Kimber Rifles IT.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are Kimber Rifles IT.

Here's my take. I've got a Kimber 84M wood stock. Its a very good rifle, lightweight and shoots well too. I like it alot. I've also got a Sako (75 not 85). It's a better rifle than the Kimber. It's smoother, has a better trigger and also shoots great. I like it somewhat more than the Kimber... but, to be honest, both serve my needs well. My last rifle purchased (ordered but not yet received) is a Cooper M52. I expect it to be better yet. Get the drift? Everything comes with trade-offs and +'s and -'s. Get what you like, feel comfortable with and can shoot. Then just practice and have fun. I don't think there is any such thing as a perfect rifle. To each his own.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The perfect rifle does exist. It's made to order for the man who knows exactly what he wants and how it'll be used,everything else is a compermise,however good.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you just plan on barreling the action why dont you get a sako action and then get a H-S stock????
Old 12-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Don't like Sako. I would rather hunt the pawn shops for 1984 and earlier Remingtons. My 1984 Remington 700 in 06 is leaps and bounds above the quality today, same with my Dads 1979 or there abouts 700. I do love stainless but can't seem to find an early stainless.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't like Sako. I would rather hunt the pawn shops for 1984 and earlier Remingtons. My 1984 Remington 700 in 06 is leaps and bounds above the quality today, same with my Dads 1979 or there abouts 700. I do love stainless but can't seem to find an early stainless.
Last custom gun with a 1964 Remington 700 SA 6mm converted to a 308 cost me 1500 dollars complete. The action was better machined then some of the new Rems especially the SPS garbage in my opinion. Blueprint an old one and a new one and you end up with the same, its still a Remington. If you want a stainless barrel on an old remington look for a 1960's version 700 bdl in 7 rem mag...stainless barrel sprayed with iron oxide and then blued. They were all shooters. Don't want to mess with that get a custom built Remingtonor buy a Sako. If you like gambling buy the Kimber who knows you might end up with a great one.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:43 AM
bigcountry

I looked at the kimbers long and hard several times. But even thru the recommendations of oldelkhunter (before he bought one) and others, I just never could pull the trigger on buying one.

People keep saying buy sako. I like my sako. I have a 75 in STW, but that is one sloppy bolt. With the bolt open, the bolt is extremely lose. Not a tight fit. Maybe all 75's are like that. But the newer 85's I have handled, were much tighter. But the gun shoots good, so what the hey. Even my several 700's have a much tighter fit with the bolt on its rails. Maybe the 75 was designed that way.

Next high dollar gun I buy will definately be a cooper. They are it.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: crimedog

I want a new rifle and quite frankly I onlywant the best. Usually it's a Remington and goes to the smith if I don't buy it from him.Are Kimber rifles really as good as it appears? Are the actions really Pre 64 Winchester designs or just maketing hype, kinda looking for something different from the model 700 collection I have. Trueth be told I would tear the barrel off the Kimber rifle and have it fitted with a heavier 280 barrel given my way. This year may be a great year for my fav smith the way I'm trolling the pawn shops for used cheep 700 actions
For many years, Kimber rifles have been about as good as they come. Recently, I have heard some complaints about quality control at Kimber too (just like all the others!!)

If I could, I'd buy an older one that I could inspect before buying. Yes, the action design is pretty much that of the pre-64 Model 70. (There have been a few quality control problems at Remington too!)
Old 12-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I looked at the kimbers long and hard several times. But even thru the recommendations of oldelkhunter (before he bought one) and others, I just never could pull the trigger on buying one.

People keep saying buy sako. I like my sako. I have a 75 in STW, but that is one sloppy bolt. With the bolt open, the bolt is extremely lose. Not a tight fit. Maybe all 75's are like that. But the newer 85's I have handled, were much tighter. But the gun shoots good, so what the hey. Even my several 700's have a much tighter fit with the bolt on its rails. Maybe the 75 was designed that way.

Next high dollar gun I buy will definately be a cooper. They are it.
Kimber was a mistake on my part to buy it is not a good gun in my opinion. I purchased one though and took the hit and learned a lesson. You on the other hand have no real lifeexperience with one correct?

I have handled a ton of 75,s and none had a loose bolt in fact they all felt the same since Sako has quality control. I won't even comment on the 700 has a tighter bolt. To even compare that POS to a Sako is blasphemy. Remember I used to own that 75 that I sold you the one with the "loose bolt" and it was a very well built rifle typical Sako quality, and no the bolt was just fine. Only benchrest actions will have very little play that's why they are called Hunting Rifles. You know dirt,Snow,Sleet get in the action.
BC your comments are at times just unbelievable. I am thinking you would complain about any gun you purchased.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

Ok, my take on it, the kimbers built by kimber of oregon were semi custom rifles, shot great and handeled nice. When kimber or oregon went under, the head smith started his own company, and took alot of the staff of kimber with him, and to this day he still builds great rifles.
Kimber of yonkers New York, are just building production rifles at semi-custom prices by clinging to the kimber name.
Oh the head smith at Kimber of Oregon was none other than Dan Cooper, yep the head of Cooper firearms.
RR
I didn't know that. Thats good to know.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:25 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter
Kimber was a mistake on my part to buy it is not a good gun in my opinion. I purchased one though and took the hit and learned a lesson. You on the other hand have no real lifeexperience with one correct?
Wrong. I spend alot of time at gun ranges. I know you said you usually do not shoot with many people.So I see, handle and shoot them all.I am just glad I didn't take your glowing advise to buy a kimber when you yourself didn't even buy one yet. I think I even got the PM still. I have seen some good shooting ones, but like others, rails need worked on. The ones I shot, just didn't feel like a 1000 dollar gun. But its an awesome looking gun.

I have handled a ton of 75,s and none had a loose bolt in fact they all felt the same since Sako has quality control. I won't even comment on the 700 has a tighter bolt. To even compare that POS to a Sako is blasphemy. Remember I used to own that 75 that I sold you the one with the "loose bolt" and it was a very well built rifle typical Sako quality, and no the bolt was just fine. Only benchrest actions will have very little play that's why they are called Hunting Rifles. You know dirt,Snow,Sleet get in the action.
Well, I have 3-5 posters on here who has shot that sako75. And everyone of them have commented how loose the bolt is. Ask Charlie, (mossyoak33) or Joe, (harley98). I have no issues with the sloppy bolt. I have the gun shooting excellent out to 300 yards and beyond. Cold bore POI, is right there with the rest of the groups. Trigger is great. Stock leaves alot to be desired. I have been meaning to replace but have worked on several other guns. So overall, I have no complaints about the gun. Just mentioning the bolt play.

Again, I am not sure you know what we are talking about. With the bolt closed, its tight. Just when you open, sliding on the rails, it has alot of play. I do have several older 700's where the lugs are very tight and smooth. They are 1980's guns.

BC your comments are at times just unbelievable. I am thinking you would complain about any gun you purchased.
Not at all. I just have a great gunsmith who does alot of work for me. I like my guns a certain way. Once I get them that way, I am happy. I love all in my safe. And I usually can get any of them shooting well within my personal desire. I know you have always told me you buy and sell alot because you have had trouble getting alot of guns shooting well. Last time we talked on the phone, I think you were complaining about remington custom shop rifles not being able to get them to shoot.

Browning BARs, 7400, 700's, A-bolts, marlin levers, encores, FN SPR's, I can usually get them all shooting. But I am very particular on my reloading. I think I have only 2 guns I complained about enough to send it back. One was a weatherby mark. But I think you have sent back alot according to your words on the phone. So I am not sure what you mean, by I would complain about any gun??? That makes very little sense. Are you sure your not saying, YOU would complain???

old, I am not a private person as you. Your more than welcome to come up to westminster, md and I will show you what I mean.

Quick Reply: Are Kimber Rifles IT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.