Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 spend the 40 bucks or put it in the scope >

spend the 40 bucks or put it in the scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

spend the 40 bucks or put it in the scope

Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default spend the 40 bucks or put it in the scope

i wont to buy a scope for my 500 and it is taped from the factory for a scope i saw mossberg has a scope rail much like the rail on the ars i like them i loved it being easy to change optic on my ar

and ithought it would help strethen the a base when iput the scope on

is it worth the 40 bucks it cost or should i just add the 40 to the amont i wont to spend onthe scope

and is it a ok idea to use a scope on a smoothbore 500 i hate the fact it only has the two beadsso i though a scope would hep with aiming and i plan to buy a ml for long distance
Old 12-25-2007, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: spend the 40 bucks or put it in the scope

Looks like somebody had too much punch .. ha ha
Old 12-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive seen mossberg 500 scope bases at d- icks sporting goods for 12$. 40$ sounds too high. if you want long range accuracy for that 500 just get the rifled slug barrel with the cantilever(scope base) already on the barrel for aroun 150$-its great if you want to use a scope and be able to change the barrels out quickly. if you dont want the extra barrel then i say put a adjustable sight that clamps to the vent rib. if you dont have the vent rib then i would go with a scope. its not legal in my state to hunt with slugs without an adjustable site.shooting slugs in a smooth bore can be accurate but i wouldnt expect more than 75 yards which is more than probably most people shoot and the ammo is way cheaper than the sabots. you just have to try different brands. federal has a slug that uses a ball behing the slug. supposedly makes the bullet fly great. im gonna try them soon but good old remington and winchester lead slugs have been good to 50 yards. you can also buy a smooth bore slug barrel cheap here http://www.havlinsales.com/
Old 12-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

https://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...prodID=WU70230 http://www.nrapublications.org/tah/Slugs.asp
Old 12-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

i will look for the cheaper base i did not think they might be alittle high since it is from mossberg but i did think they were way to high

no i did not have any punch i plan to stay under 75 but for the 08 season i can get the ml or the rifled barrel and i plan to go ml since i can use it in shotgun season but i might have a second person using either the ml or shotgun and wont it set up for deer out to 75 yards
Old 12-25-2007, 08:28 AM

I like the $150 barrel deal also, but if you do not have the $150, then it is not an option.

I had a model 500 Mossberg when I was a kid and I lent it out to a friend of mine and he shot a nice buck with 3 inch pumpkin balls at a range of about 70 yards with no sights except the bead front sight.

Back in the day, the Mossberg was a very cheap gun. I paid $99 for mine in 1979 and it shot 3 inch magnum shells, which most of the plain old Remingtons at that time were only 2 3/4 inch chambers.

I believe that I sold mine 10 years later for $150!

So I never lost a dime on that one!

I never would have sold it, except it always jammed when I tried to shoot too fast - because it only had one rail going from the forearm to the action. The 12 gauges all had two. My dad owned a 20 gauge and so that was what he bought me with the money that I earned working for a summer in a state park!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Don't put a receiver mounted scope on a switch barrel gun. I think I told you that you in an earlier post. Sure they are drilled and tapped for it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What do you need a scope on a smooth barrel gun for anyway? The twin beads are plenty for any type of small game shooting you would want to do. And if you want something more accurate for turkeys or rifled slugs just get some decent fiber optic clamp on open sights.

If you want a scope on that gun get a barrel with a cantilever mount, that way the scope stays with barrel when you take it off.

Putting a scope on the receiver of gun that does not have a solid barrel mount will not yield the best accuracy and it limits what you can do with the gun because you have a scope rail on it and can't line up with the beads correctly if you want to use them.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 AM

The benefit of a scope doesn't come into play long after the range of a smoothbore/foster combo anyway. IMO

Putting a scope on a dedicated slugger or ML is a different story.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Don't put a receiver mounted scope on a switch barrel gun. I think I told you that you in an earlier post. Sure they are drilled and tapped for it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What do you need a scope on a smooth barrel gun for anyway? The twin beads are plenty for any type of small game shooting you would want to do. And if you want something more accurate for turkeys or rifled slugs just get some decent fiber optic clamp on open sights.

If you want a scope on that gun get a barrel with a cantilever mount, that way the scope stays with barrel when you take it off.

Putting a scope on the receiver of gun that does not have a solid barrel mount will not yield the best accuracy and it limits what you can do with the gun because you have a scope rail on it and can't line up with the beads correctly if you want to use them.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
I've got a weaver mount on my 500 on the reciever and i can see the beads just fine....
Old 12-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

what about a non magnifing optical sight like a scope but it does not magnify anything likepeople
have on a hand gun

Quick Reply: spend the 40 bucks or put it in the scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.