Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Low Recoil Loads: Different POI

Old 10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Low Recoil Loads: Different POI

I agree, the POI is going to be different, maybe a lot different! That doesn't matter. What matters, is how are the groups holding up!?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 PM

Bought my wife a new rem.7400 carbine in 30.06. Her choice of gun and round, I told her to get what ever she wanted. Then w bought full grade rounds , and I bought some managed recoil rounds. The rounds shot very well, grouping nicely. The only complaint I had was that the reduced powder charge was not strong enough to fully kick the spent case. It would almost make it then hang. But as to how the rounds faired?" We did not have to resight the gun for the managed recoil rounds. But she did go back to the full strength because of the hanging issue.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

MM300,There is a bunch of great guy's on this site and they really are not berating you .I have never seen the time somebody would not do their best to answer any question.BUT they will sit up on a tree limb like a bunch of vultures waiting for the chance to rag on somebody............... BTW sorry for your loss.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 AM

Me and my nephew just shot off a box of managed recoil out of his win 70
30-06, The recoil is about 10 to 15% less than my daughters savage 243... They do hold a tight pattern and the noise is way down on them to.... I did shoot 165 gr rem expresscore loct psp out of his same gun that we sighted in for managed recoil... There was no difference or drop at all at 100yrds.... Then I shot 180 gr rem high velocity soft point core loct out of his gun...Maybe a3/8 inch drop if that...The 220 gr rem rnd nose to the plunge.It dropped about 5 inches from the sight in of the managed recoil...I didn't have any pointed 220 to shoot and was curious if it was cause of the rnd nose that made it drop that much... Now out of my A-bolt browning 30-06 with the muzzle break...The 220 rnd nose didn't drop under 1 inch of impact of my sight in for 165gr REM express core loct... I think this had to do with the longer barrel on my browning than the win 70....But I did not see that much of a diffrence in drop from the 125gr managed recoil and the 165 and 180 gr at a 100yrds...

I don't know how they work on deer yet,,But if they work good then maybe I should of bought my daughter a 308 or 30-06 and used these managed recoil shells instead of the 243...I am paying 28$ a box for the win 95 gr ballistic tip and the managed recoil are like 20$ and the recoil and noise is far less to boot...I don;t know how they do on deer yet,the jury is still out on this part yet..
Old 10-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Smokeman: I'm using Remington Express 100 gr. PSP Core Lokt's in my .243, and they're only about $13 a box, with a $10 mail-in rebate if you buy two boxes. I can put three shots inside a dime with them at 100 yards. They work just fine on whitetails. Every one I've shot has given a complete penetration. Not sure why you'd want to spend all that extra money to buy those ballistic tips. I'd rather buy more of the less expensive stuff and spend a little more time at the range with the savings.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Smokeman: I'm using Remington Express 100 gr. PSP Core Lokt's in my .243, and they're only about $13 a box, with a $10 mail-in rebate if you buy two boxes. I can put three shots inside a dime with them at 100 yards. They work just fine on whitetails. Every one I've shot has given a complete penetration. Not sure why you'd want to spend all that extra money to buy those ballistic tips. I'd rather buy more of the less expensive stuff and spend a little more time at the range with the savings.
I have seen to many deer run away from less than perfect shots useing anything less in the 243...This is my daughters first year and I know she will be shaking a bitwhen deer fever hits her when shes ready to squeeze the trigger..This is morefora bit more of an error in shot placement for her...On the range it's diffrent than actually that first shot on a first deer for a youth...But that is the only reason I buy these...And I have seen what this type of ammo actually does to a deer with less than perfect placement... I did shoot also on that day 100gr core lokt that I had left over from a couple years back...They shot 4 inches lower and to the right about 3 inches below the impact of the win 95gr ballistics sight in... Thats a big difference there allso between other shells and these ballistic tips at a 100yrds...But I got these for less than a perfect shot....
Old 10-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

What do the Ballistic Tips do that makes them better for marginal shot placements?Do the expand faster/bigger? Do they retain more weight? Do they fragment? Better penetration?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 AM

What do the Ballistic Tips do that makes them better for marginal shot placements?Do the expand faster/bigger? Do they retain more weight? Do they fragment? Better penetration?
They do expand wayfaster and retain more weight to penetrate deeper to do more damage....They was specifically designed for thin game animals...I would not use these in brush cover.Just open fields or open wood lots..
Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cool. My son and I used the PSP Core Lokt's last year. I shot two bucks and he shot two does. Three were complete penetrations. On the fourth, one of my son's does, we recovered the bullet under the skin of the opposite shoulder. That deer had goneless than30 yards with a double lung shot. The bullet we recovered was nicely mushroomed, and retained almost 61 grains of weight. I'm not sure how that weight retention compares, but it did the job. I need to get out the micrometer and measure howmuch expansion he got.

How big are the deer where you hunt? I got complete penetrations on my two bucks which weighed in at 124 and 138 lbs.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 PM

Cool. My son and I used the PSP Core Lokt's last year. I shot two bucks and he shot two does. Three were complete penetrations. On the fourth, one of my son's does, we recovered the bullet under the skin of the opposite shoulder. That deer had goneless than30 yards with a double lung shot. The bullet we recovered was nicely mushroomed, and retained almost 61 grains of weight. I'm not sure how that weight retention compares, but it did the job. I need to get out the micrometer and measure howmuch expansion he got.

How big are the deer where you hunt? I got complete penetrations on my two bucks which weighed in at 124 and 138 lbs.
This year the does seam to be smaller than usual..I would put them in the 100 to 120lbs The bucks I have seen vary quite a bit, anywhere from 120 to 150+.... What I like is how fast it mushrooms on impact...It does major damage on the first vital it hits and allows for error...Like catch the first lung and miss the second...Or miss the first lung and catches the second..That bullet is all ready mushroomed all most to max when it breaks the hide I would think after I seen deer hit with them.. And they do got the power to punch out the other side...Thats why the 100 gr shoots that much lower than the ballistic tip I believe..The win ballistic are loaded a bit hotter than standard 243 shells... I could be wrong though... But it seams logical...I don't think 5 gr more of lead would drop a bullet 5 inches at a 100yrds unless they wasn't loaded as hot..