Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slugs For Shotgun"s >

Slugs For Shotgun"s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs For Shotgun"s

Old 10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default Slugs For Shotgun"s

What type or brand do most of you shoot ,, im talking about sabots slugs that you shoot through a rifle barrel .....and what type of groups do they hold??? what do u recomened...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Slugs For Shotgun"s

I have best luck out of like 3-4 slug guns wit 2 3/4" rem copper solids. 1oz. 3" shot bad in all. I also had good luck with winchester partitions gold. And usually, the lightfields always shoot well but drop in trajectory like a rock past 80 yards.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

I've had great groups out of the new Hornady SST slugs.. and they did a number on the buck I shot last Dec... dropped him in his tracks at 110yds.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:06 AM

Buy 3 or more different brands/kinds that are appropriate to your shotgun and then take them out to shoot. Buy whatever shoots best for you out of your shotgun.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

My Nova 12ga likes the Cor-lokts. I got the new Hornady SST's for my son's 870 20ga and he dropped a doe three weeks ago with a perfect shot. It went through the left shoulder, and with a very small entry wound, it tore up both lungs and the heart, no exit wound, and no blood trail to follow. I bought some for my shotgun which I will be trying on the range tomorrow. If they shoot as well in my Nova as the ballistics claims, I think I will be shifting to the SST's. I love the Barnes Expanders in my muzzle loader, but the Federals just don't shoot well from either my Nova, or my son's 870.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:21 PM

I just went through this last Saturday and burned $50 in shells with my Ithaca Deerslayer II. I pretty much deduced exactly what bigcountry stated above. The 2.75" Remington copper solids shot excellent. The lightfield hybreds I shot were 1 hole at 50 yds, but dropped fast and became erratic at 100 yds. I tried the Hornady 300 gr. They shot decent and at the same height as the copper solids at 100 yds, but werepushing about 3" to the right on me. Since my brother shoots copper solids out of his 1100, I figured I was better off keeping those at the zero in case i'm in a bind and need to borrow some ammo. I have shot deer with his gun using the copper solids and performance was excellent. I'd start with a box of the copper solids and if they work call it done.

KEJ
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

I bought hornday sst and 3 boxes of lightfeild .... shooting on sat will let you know how it turns out ....
Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, my BRN A-5 with a Hastings Paradox barrel likes Winchester BRI and my Mossberg 835 with rifled barrel likes Federals. After many brands and loads in each. I can place a burned out flood lamp in the mound on my 200yd range and at 150yds be dead center on the lamps.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:04 AM

I shot my Xtrema 2 KO Slug this past weekend. I tried the following through it:Hastings 3" 1900 fps, Hastings 2 3/4" 'low recoil' 1000 fps, Federal Vital Shocks 2 3/4", Winchester 2 3/4" Xpander, Remington 2 3/4" Copper Solids, Remington 2 3/4 Buckhammers, Hornady SST's (2 boxes, 1 for sighting in, one for testing), 3" Lightfields.
I fired from 100 yards using a sandbag rest. Winds were non-existant, in fact it was trying to be a bit foggy. I fired 3 shot groups with the same hold point for all three shots.
Results for MY gun were:

Remington Copper Solids 2 3/4" shells - 1.3" group @ 100yds
Hornady SST's 2 3/4" shells - 1.75" group
Remington Buckhammer - 2.25" group
The worst group of the bunch came from the Hastings 3" 1900 fps jobs. They had an 8" group. Next worse were the Lightfields.

I had similar results last year with the 391 Urika barrel. The Remingtons worked the best, w/ the Lightfields being the worst. I'm guessing the Beretta barrels just don't care for the Lightfields for some reason.

Quick Reply: Slugs For Shotgun"s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.