Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Low Recoil Loads: Different POI >

Low Recoil Loads: Different POI

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Low Recoil Loads: Different POI

Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Low Recoil Loads: Different POI

Looking for input from those with experience using the reduced recoil loads from Remington or Federal. I've heard that they come pretty close to standard load ballistics out to about 150 yards, but that the point of impact can vary about an inch or so (both windage and elevation).

What has your experience been with POI consistency using these loads? Federal and Remington take different approaches to reducing recoil; does one maintain a "standard" POI better than the other?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Low Recoil Loads: Different POI

Remington Managed recoil in .270 shot a couple of inches high and to the right in my son's rifle. Good groups, just way off from standard loads.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

That will vary from gun to gun.There is no way to predict if the point of impact will be different.Simply changing the bullet style using the same weight and the identical powder charge can result in the POI moving several inches at 100 yards.The same thing can happen if you simply change the powder using the identical bullet and producing identical velocity.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Spike

Thanks, I completely understand that. Just wondering if anyone's experiences indicate that one brand holds a closer POI than the other, particularly in the windage dept.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Magnum_Man_300
And on top of that they are a waste of time when you can jst get the full power loads and be better off.
You know,some people might want to use the managed recoil loads for juniors, or wives, or they might be recoil sensitive. Obviously, any time you change loads, you should take your gun to the range and re-zero your scope. The fact that the bullets were hitting 4" low out of your rifle is not a valid indictment of the concept.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

POI change doesn't mean anything, with any different ammo put through a rifle, you need to rezero anyhow.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I had youngsters that weren't up to handling recoil,I would consider low recoil loads until they are able to handle full power loads.However I would not consider them for an adult.If an adult can't handle the recoil of a cartridge,I would rather see them go to a cartridge that they can handle withy normal loads.As far as the difference in POI is concerned,that varies with any change in ammunition,so I don't consider it an issue.

Quick Reply: Low Recoil Loads: Different POI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.