Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 The right rod for the right situation >

The right rod for the right situation

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

The right rod for the right situation

Old 07-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default The right rod for the right situation

Folks,
One of the most valuable lessons I learned this year is to fish with a rod that works for you and that you have full confidence in ...

For all live bait fishing I fish with nothing bigger than a medium.I'm batting pretty much 1000 with that technique, When me or my 2 sons tried using medium heavy are boating averages took a serious dive. I wish I had more medium rods..With all the talk about crossing the fish's eyes..most of my rods are medium heavy...Rebel Hog gave me 4 medium baitcasting rods andI may switch over to them when spinning and cranking. Once when Buffdmac was shiner fishing ..he missed his first 5 fish,I quickly changed him over to a long medium rod...He then started batting 1000...With that type of rod the fish actually hook themselves.

When plastic fihsing ...my best boating average is with a 7 foot Team Diawa ...I'm not batting 1000 but twice as good as last yeat when I was using a 6 foot Lightning Rod and a 6 1/2 foot Bionix. For Carolina ..the extra leverage is great. I switched to a 7 foot rod because of Josh...and I'm glad I did. My boating average doubled from last year. I can't get any longer rods..our ceilings don't go that high.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The right rod for the right situation

I like using the 6 foot ultra lites even a little fish will feel like a monster on it.. But, I have to agree, the right rod for you is the best rod to use.. I also like the ultra lites because even when they are just tapping at it you can feel them out...
Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen Phil,
When this little contest is over I'm putting all of my bass rods away and I'm fishing strictly light and ultra light. That is my favorite too. There is generally 2 good weekends a month to fish for bass. On the other 2 weekends I may fish for channel cats and shellcrackers {Red earred sunfish} Aaron loves catfish so we may get some this Friday..I may bump a worm rod though while waiting on a bite..[8D]

Shiner fishing with ultra light will be a blast. I 'll probably load up the spools with 10 pound power pro..the diameter is 2 pound test LOL
Fish on..

Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got my eye on a el-cheapo ultra light at Wal-Mart, it's like 30 bucks, but I want it. I've yet to fight a bluegill on an ultra light, but I'm gonna try it.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've yet to fight a bluegill on an ultra light, but I'm gonna try it.
Just wait until a bass grabs a hold of it, man it is like hooking it on a mini fly rod and a whole lot of fun at that!!!! You can be setting in your boat holding your rod up while the tip of it is almost in tha water!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen Phil...if not for our structure I'd use 4 pound test . I do use 6 on our crappie. in the sandy bottom pits..However: Saddle Creek is full of thick matted hydrilla. I would probalby go about 10 pound Power Pro when fishing in that area ....
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

My ultralite rod is 6 foot sofar for 3 years straight I have not missed a single fish with it when trout fishing. My wife doesnt like a rod thats longer in length then she is tall so she sticks with 5 foot or shorter rods but she misses fish after fish she rips the hook right out of their mouth. ive tried to explain to her about correct leverage and stiffness of a rod but she wont listen shes quite stubborn. but deffinately finding the right rod is key, fishing rods arent all the same as many seem to think.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 AM

my two favorite rods are my ultra light and my medium light.
The ultra light is the best with everything except for heavier lures. one time i caught a seven pound walleye on my ultra light and what a fight that was.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a 9 and 10 Foot Surf Rods.Can't wait to catch some Perch.

Well really going to use them on Cats below the Dam.

big rockpile