Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do in my situation??? >

What would you do in my situation???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do in my situation???

Old 10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default What would you do in my situation???

OK here's the deal.

I'll kill a doe no problem for meat in the freezer. But I will not shoot any young bucks(Under 3.5 if I can help it). So I guess some of you would call me a "Trophy hunter".

This year I can only get One deer tag for my area.And for the gun season the DNR is only giving out 25 antler less permits in the entire zone(450Most of Redwood county). But I have allot of Doe's running around my area. One night this fall I could have easily shot seven different does in one night! The problem is I want to kill a nice buck, butanother issue is there are allot of doe's around. The other issue is that after the gun season there will be even more does than bucks because so many bucks will get killed since there are so few doe permits out there!

Should I kill a doe to help the herd, and for meat in the freezer( Not sure one doe will make much difference since there is like a 20 to one buck to doe ratio)

Should I go out of State for a buck and kill a doe in MN.

Should I wait for the buck I want and possibly go skunked (I have a few shooters around!)

Or just be lucky I have such a problem and shut up
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you do in my situation???

id hunt for a buck until beginning of post rut, then anything goes. except fawns.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

You killing one doe isn't going to impact your area whatsoever. If you want to hold for a 3.5 year old or older, that's your totally your decision.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

I would hold out for the buck also.

Wayne
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Since I've only seen four deer in over a month I'd opt for.......

Shut up.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frankly...You should move to North Carolina....I have already killed 3 does with a bow and have gotten 4 additional doe tage (in addition to the 4 that come with your license)...

We get unlimited doe tags this year...I don't know what some states are thinking...If I couldn't kill but one deer a year in a state, don't know if I would even mess with hunting...
Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Freezer first for me. I have venison-lovin' mouths to feed. Actually, though, we have all (well, almost all) has a skunk year. Follow your heart.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM

i would wait for that buck if you can and if its geting late in the year then take a doe think about it this way i wouldn't take a doe now cause then you would be done hunting for the year unless a monster walked by. also think about why you hunt is it for the food, the trophy, or the enjoyment of nature.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

It's been said already but I would hunt a buck till it's crunch time then try to add to the freezer.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:48 AM

It sounds like you and your hunting buddies need to contact someone up high in the DNR to get the tag quotas straightened out. But I would hold out for that great buck. You can always repattern and find a doe late season if all else fails

Quick Reply: What would you do in my situation???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.