Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation >

Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
1. I would Shoot 2. Get the deer
35.43%
1. I wouldn't shoot 2. Get the deer
56.57%
1. I wouldn't shoot 2. I'd leave the deer
8.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation

Old 02-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation

[align=left]Ok .... let's hear what you think ..... also, has either happened to you?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Scenario 1.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]You found a great spot just 30 yards from someone else's property that you DON'T have permission to hunt ..... the biggest buck you have ever seen walks the fence line on HIS property ... he is walking slowly, stopping for 10 seconds at a time ... it is obvious he is just going to follow the fence line away from the property you hunt ..... do you shoot?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Scenario 2.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]You are hunting from the same stand, the previous scenario has not happened, the same buck comes by on the property you are hunting, you drill him at 20 yards ... he runs, jumps the fence, then dies 10 yards on the other property ... again. you have been told that you will be prosecuted if the landowner ever found you on his property ...... do you get the buck? In the area you are hunting, the neighbor is great friends with the CO and there is not a law stating that he has to let you recover your deer.....[/align][align=left][/align]
Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Default RE: Ok Ethics Police ........2 Part Question .................................................

Ill be the first to bite,

1. No I don't shoot....besides that, I wouldn't even hang a stand where I would have the temptation.

2. Get the deer, flip it over the fence, and don't tell no one if the guy is that pig of a prick that he would make you leave the deer to rot. It would befar worse to leave a deer laying simply because you are afraid of some guy. Also, if I thought there was eventhe smallest,remote chance to reason with the guy, I would call him first without a doubt....IDK why, but I believe VERY few people would not allow you to cross the fence for 10 yards, especially if you had a blood trail proving it was killed on your property.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ok Ethics Police ........2 Part Question .................................................

#1. I wouldn't take the shot. i would however give the buck a reason to cross the fence. Be it bait, call anything.

#2. It'd just be wrong to leave the body to rot away. If i was really worried about being prosecuted i'd go ask the property owner if i can recover my kill

Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

I cant wait to see the honest answers to this one. Good job Tony, this, I'm predicting, will go 7 pages.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, and both scenarios, I would shoot and get the deer. I would try to get the deer to come to my side of the fence, but I would shoot either way.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys ... this is really about situation ethics .... BOTH are trespassing ,,, BOTH could get you in trouble .... but the situation determines the action .... that's reality ..... BTW .. I agree with not shooting, but getting the buck ..
Old 02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Option #2,
HOWEVER, I would kindly re-ask the land owner and show him the blood trail.
If he wasn't moving on his trespassing statement,
I would call the Game Warden and the Police trying to get them to help them entice a better solution from the land owner.
If all this fails, then you just learned a lesson.
I would have selected #3 and hopefully the buck walked on the correct side of the fence or ran in the opposite direction.
Let the arrow fly - baby!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Ill be the first to bite,

1. No I don't shoot....besides that, I wouldn't even hang a stand where I would have the temptation.

2. Get the deer, flip it over the fence, and don't tell no one if the guy is that pig of a prick that he would make you leave the deer to rot. It would befar worse to leave a deer laying simply because you are afraid of some guy. Also, if I thought there was eventhe smallest,remote chance to reason with the guy, I would call him first without a doubt....IDK why, but I believe VERY few people would not allow you to cross the fence for 10 yards, especially if you had a blood trail proving it was killed on your property.
x2
Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

You needed a 4th choice..... 4.) I would shoot, 2, leave the deer.

though I guess if you'd shoot him on the neighbors property you'd mostly likely go get him.

I think there are some gaps in these questions......1, if you shooot a deer on your property and it goes on the neighbors property, if he has told you he'd prosecute if he catches you on his, I think you' have to contact the landowner and ask him to go get your deer, either he'll let you just get it, or want to come with you and make sure your story holds up. I think very few landowners wouldn't let you retrive a buck ontheir propety, they just dont want you shooting bucks on their side of the fence.

As far as the first part goes, this would be a moral dilemna, also if the neighbors in his stand right there, you woulnd't haha, I almost wish fenclines were like the neutral zone in football, like say 3 yards on either side of the fence is kinda "our" property. I think that would be a good law, or even 1yard on either side. or 5yds?

I think I'd try to get that buck on my property, maybe cut a hole in the fence right there, haha, no I wouldn't but maybe fell a tree over the fence right there, haha, i kid, I think its tough luck. try to lure him on your side, a decoy in the rut I think would get that bruiser to jump the fence.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. I hope I never have to make that choice!

2. In Wis we just get a warden to enter the property to retreive game.

I rifle hunted a situation like this for many years. I positioned my stand over 100 yards from the fence. I shot the **** out of every deer to avoid that situation. The land owner was an usher at my church but during deer season he was the biggest pr1ck I have ever met. When the other neighbor moved onto the fenceline and started shooting at deer on my side of the fence I left the area and went to northern Wis to hunt national forest land. Now I don't have these problems. "Lead me not into temptation"

Quick Reply: Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.