Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment.... >

Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment....

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment....

Old 07-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
Lolo Sporting Goods here in Lewiston Idaho has the Kimber Custom Target II For $655. It would be a cold day in hell when I would pay close to $600 for a Taurus when I could by the Kimber for $650. They would have to be selling the Taurus for about $350 or less, to even spark my interest. Hell I would by a Ruger SR1911 before I would the Taurus, ANYDAY!!!!
I can say this up in the part of Montana where I live. The Taurus pt1911 goes for around $600 to $650 Kimber’s 1911 goes for around $900 to $1200.
I do not own a Taurus pt1911 but I have friends that loves his. And I have had the pleaser to shoot his Taurus, and I can say this after a day of shooting his Taurus and my Kimber. My Kimber is not $ 450 dollars better than his Taurus.
To tell the truth my Kimber is not even $200 dollars better. The only thing my Kimber has over his Taurus is the grips are nicer on my Kimber, And the Finish is a little better on my Kimber. But his Taurus shot just as good if not better with some ammo.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cooper_m22
I can say this up in the part of Montana where I live. The Taurus pt1911 goes for around $600 to $650 Kimber’s 1911 goes for around $900 to $1200.
I do not own a Taurus pt1911 but I have friends that loves his. And I have had the pleaser to shoot his Taurus, and I can say this after a day of shooting his Taurus and my Kimber. My Kimber is not $ 450 dollars better than his Taurus.
To tell the truth my Kimber is not even $200 dollars better. The only thing my Kimber has over his Taurus is the grips are nicer on my Kimber, And the Finish is a little better on my Kimber. But his Taurus shot just as good if not better with some ammo.
Sorry to hear that your local gun shops there in Montana are practicing price gougeing. Like I said before, I can buy a brand new Kimber Custom Target II here in Idaho for $655, It will be a cold day in hell when I would pay as much for a Taurus as a Kimber. Two reasons that I will NEVER own a Taurus, regaurdless of price and what all you Taurus owners say about them. One is that thing written on it, "Taurus", the other, the other thing written on it, "Made in Brazil". I will only buy American made firearms! That is part of the problem with our Nations failing economy, everyone is trying to save a dollar or two and buying inferior made products that are made in foriegn countries. The 1911 is a American icon, and in my opinion, one that isnt made here in the U.S.A. is a disgrace to one of the greatest firearms ever designed. Just my opinion, you dont have to agree. You do get what pay for, unless you have a Taurus, then you get a foriegn copy of a American icon, that is over priced.

Last edited by fritz1; 07-18-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suspect that most of the Taurus bashers have never owned or shot one! I buy American stuff if possible. I will not buy over priced quality though. Just what is the bias against Taurus? Please enlighten me! It cannot possibly be an "American" issue. If that were the case no one would be buying Glocks, Sigs, and oh yeah, the "Croatian Springfeild!"
Taurus may not be a "custom" gun, but it is a good gun at a good price!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JagMagMan
I suspect that most of the Taurus bashers have never owned or shot one! I buy American stuff if possible. I will not buy over priced quality though. Just what is the bias against Taurus? Please enlighten me! It cannot possibly be an "American" issue. If that were the case no one would be buying Glocks, Sigs, and oh yeah, the "Croatian Springfeild!"
Taurus may not be a "custom" gun, but it is a good gun at a good price!
Personaly I WONT buy or own a Glock, Sig, or a Springfield! If Taurus is a comparible product using the same materials, in order to sell it cheaper they have to cut the cost somewhere. That is by employing people in foreign countries to work for a substandard wage. I would much rather pay a higher price for a gun that is made in America by Americans, who are trying to make a honest wage and are paying taxes here in America. Everyone is worried about saving a few dollars and buying foreign made products (that are also made here) then they want to b*tch and moan because unemployment is through the roof, and our economy is in the toilet. Start buying American products, this DOES create domestic jobs. Support our economy not some foreigners!
Actually I do own a Taurus, it is a model 455 Titanium revolver in the 45acp, it is a collector gun that is worth a few bucks, not because it is good, because they made very few of them. I got it years ago, my dad gave it to me, it is the only reason I still have it. I have shot and been arround a bunch of Taurus's, never been impressed by any of them. They are just a poor, cheap copy of the real thing, there revolvers are a sorry copy of the Smith & Wesson, the PT92 is a sorry copy of the Berreta, The 1911 is another example of a wannabe good gun. Its kind of like a guy that buys a Chevrolet and is trying to convince everone else that it is the same, or as good as a Cadillac.

Last edited by fritz1; 07-18-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot a Taurus 1911 didn't seem all that bad but wasn't sure about wear and longevity of it after it jammed twice, in defense it may have not liked the ammo I was using. I have shot a brand new Springfield that the trigger was so stiff I had to look down to make sure it was off safety three times. No joking on that one, and it was a $1200+ gun. Thats bad. I have a Kimber pro carry II 45 and that's a sweet functioning gun. I have never had the pleasure of shooting a really expensive 1911 but maybe one day. So out of the three I'll list them as I would choose them.

Kimber because they are that good.
Taurus because it seemed it could be manageable with the right ammo
Springfield nah, no one should pay that much for something new that needs a gunsmith to make it work right.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
Sorry to hear that your local gun shops there in Montana are practicing price gougeing. Like I said before, I can buy a brand new Kimber Custom Target II here in Idaho for $655, It will be a cold day in hell when I would pay as much for a Taurus as a Kimber. Two reasons that I will NEVER own a Taurus, regaurdless of price and what all you Taurus owners say about them. One is that thing written on it, "Taurus", the other, the other thing written on it, "Made in Brazil". I will only buy American made firearms! That is part of the problem with our Nations failing economy, everyone is trying to save a dollar or two and buying inferior made products that are made in foriegn countries. The 1911 is a American icon, and in my opinion, one that isnt made here in the U.S.A. is a disgrace to one of the greatest firearms ever designed. Just my opinion, you dont have to agree. You do get what pay for, unless you have a Taurus, then you get a foriegn copy of a American icon, that is over priced.
I agree with you on some parts. I own a Kimber because I like made in America. My rifle is a Cooper Model 22 and 52, to me Cooper is not just one of the best rifles I can buy its made in America and it is made in Montana.
I would not own a Taurus, But after shooting my friends. I have learned a new respect for the Taurus pt1911. Like I said before my friends Taurus was one great shooter, and very good gun. Would I ever go out and replace my Kimber for a Taurus NO WAY. But I am a person that likes to call a spade a spade, and I can say this the Taurus is one great shooter for the price.
But I stand by one thing I said my Kimber is not $450 dollars better. But do I know how long, a Taurus will last NO.

Last edited by cooper_m22; 08-29-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Spike

Default High points ive seen are going for 138

Originally Posted by Paul L Mohr
You can't get much gun for $400 dollars anymore. Heck a good revolver could cost that much. If you want a cheap auto maybe look at the highpoints. I wouldn't trust my life to one though.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the kimber though.

Paul
HIGH POINTS IVE SEEN ARE GOING FOR 138
a buddy of mines friend bought a kimber and had heck with it
bought the taurus and no more problems
buds gun shop which usually seems to have good prices sells the the taurus for 487
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

First off, I can't believe this thread surfaced again...lol. Cooper - you must have an early Kimber, Because from what I hear now they are having all kinds of quality problems. I have 2 friends that are firearms instructors and they have recently seen a rash of Kimbers coming in with students that are complete junk. A few even failed to fire while others failed after one magazine. If you have an early one, hang on to it. I am sure it will serve you well. Just be cautious of the ones coming out of the facility now. I've had a couple thousand rounds thru my Taurus 1911 and haven't even had so much as a stove pipe.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-28-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
First off, I can't believe this thread surfaced again...lol. Cooper - you must have an early Kimber, Because from what I hear now they are having all kinds of quality problems. I have 2 friends that are firearms instructors and they have recently seen a rash of Kimbers coming in with students that are complete junk. A few even failed to fire while others failed after one magazine. If you have an early one, hang on to it. I am sure it will serve you well. Just be cautious of the ones coming out of the facility now. I've had a couple thousand rounds thru my Taurus 1911 and haven't even had so much as a stove pipe.
From what I have seen it has been just the opposite, Kimber had issues when they first came out, the new ones are fine weapons.