Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Taurus PT 1911 >

Taurus PT 1911

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taurus PT 1911

Old 12-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taurus PT 1911

Does anyone have one?If so what do you think about it?
Everything I have read says it is a good,solid,economical .45,the reason I ask I am thinking of purchasing one and am looking for non-biased opinions as this one is in my price range as opposed to some of the others.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Taurus PT 1911

ORIGINAL: Korak

Does anyone have one?If so what do you think about it?
Everything I have read says it is a good,solid,economical .45,the reason I ask I am thinking of purchasing one and am looking for non-biased opinions as this one is in my price range as opposed to some of the others.
I haven't actually handled one yet, but I too am considering getting one. I do have a Raging Bull, and have a hunting buddy who has a Raging Bull and one of the stubby .45 Colt revolvers. All three of these guns are well made of quality materials, and I see no reason why this new one wouldn't be just as good. It's been a long time since the U.S., Germany and Switzerland were the only countriesmaking quality handguns!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy a cow bell made by Taurus.

Tom
Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have one in stainless on order that is due in this week or next. I'll post an evaluation, hopefully with range results when I get it. My dealer has handled one extensively and of the three he has coming in, the first one is his. I'll be getting mine for about $560 + tax, essentially 6 bills out the door.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I wouldn't buy a cow bell made by Taurus.

Tom
To each his own!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:43 PM

There was a time when I thought Taurus guns were junk. But I've been around enough of them to learn how wrong I was. In fact, I've never seen one that didn't function good and shoot right with Smith and Colt.

I'm fixing to buy one of thesePT 1911's. Price is $589 at Academy Sports and these guns are hand fitted with every option a guy could want a custom pistol smith to put on a .45. When you consider this price will hardly buy you a rusted out old military pistol, a person is goofy NOT to spring for one of these.

And there are a LOT of videos available on You Tube of folks firing these weapons in competition and just targets. What's not to like?

Many of our American firearms mfg's have gone to the dogs, I'm sorry to say.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Just got my stainless PT1911 last week ($630 out the door). I haven't made it to the range yet though. I stripped, cleaned, and lubed it, as well as put on a better set of grips. The grips it comes with are quite un-impressive. It cycles nice and smooth. The weather has warmed a bit here in Iowa, so I'm going to try to sneak off to the range this week.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 PM

I just bought mine today. Blue steel. I've got two words to describe the thing.........SMOOTH..........TIGHT.

If you think they look good in a picture, wait till you hold one. Very sweet.

I agree with USN, however, the grips got to go! They are as cheesy as the old military grips.

I was sorry to learn this pistol has a ("2 dot) Heine sight instead of a 3 dot system...........that is until I sighted down the thing. Now I'm convinced the 2 dot is better by far. Much faster, easier and more natural for your eyes than a 3 dot.

If this shoots like it feels, this gun is one of the most incredable gun buys on the market today.

I'll do some cleaning and get to a range in day or so.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Typical Buck

I had check out Taurus 1911 and around here in there are asking $625.00 for the blue model went threw a few until I found the best one the only problem the dealer also has a SA 1911 mil spec that started with a MN serial number for $599.00 new also.
I did spend a good 20 min: going threw the pro and cons and went with the SA I just could not see myself spending more for a Taurus over a springer.I think the only drawback was Taurus warranty and a few tool marks when I field strip it
I would of went for the Taurus if the price was in around the middle of the 450 mark when they first came out.
I myself know of a few complaint as far warranty issue and from what I heard some repairs took as much as 12 weeks
I done a lot of personal upgrades to my 1911 SA and I think I made the right choice I would say before buying go over the gun with a fine tooth comb
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 PM

LW, I hope you are as happy and blessed with your SA as I think I am with my Taurus PT-1911. I took it to the range today for the first firing with the only ammo I had around, some old reloads with 230gr RN cast bullet over 6.5 gr unique..........military brass.

Range was 25 ft off the bench but it impressed the hell out of me. Gun functioned perfectly. Bullets just pour through it...in and out. Shot several targets w/ditto results. This is straight out of the box with nothing touched. I didn't even get to play with my adjustable sights.

I'm not sure what you are talking about Taurus warranty. It's for LIFE.

The fellow shooting on the range beside me was using a .45 he paid a gunsmith a lot of money to build up for him from Nat'l Match parts and it wouldn't hold a candle to the Taurus out of the box...assuming similar shooting abilities.

He said he had several friends who had the Taurus and all of them raved about them as well. He said he has over 20 45 autos and his next would be the PT-1911.

Good hunting!

Quick Reply: Taurus PT 1911

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.