Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
BLoody Meat..and how to prepare southern deer for the freezer >

BLoody Meat..and how to prepare southern deer for the freezer

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

BLoody Meat..and how to prepare southern deer for the freezer

Old 07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default BLoody Meat..and how to prepare southern deer for the freezer

Ok guys,
My wife is turned off about the bloody meat. When I thaw out the meat..it usually has a lot of blood in it..I live in Florida so I don't hang my deer outdoors

BUT can I do my meat like I use to do my squirrels up north?

I use to shoot 2 or 3 squirrels as a kid after dinner..My dad taught me to skin the squirrel and gut it and then soak it in salt water for about 3 hours...then my mom would remove the squirrel and cut in pieces and freeze..it was never bloody.

Why couldn't I put cut up the deer and put the deer in ice cold SALT water for about 4-5 hours.in my big cooler?.and then freeze. I wouldn't want to overnight becasue I beleive it would remove alot of the flavor?

Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks,
C7
Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

That sounds like it would work, better yet give me all your venison. I'll be in Floral city from mid Nov until mid April
Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

We always let our deer soak in ice water in the chests and they get alot of the blood out.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

That even happens with store bought meat but they put those spongy thing in there so you don't notice it as much. You defrost the cut you want , rewrap it ,then give it to your wife. Good Luck . The water bath would work, just make sure the waters cold. and keep it quarters. Like you said it could loose flavor __________________
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by garett12
We always let our deer soak in ice water in the chests and they get alot of the blood out.
If you put deer meat in ice, in a cooler, make sure you drain the ice as it melts, and put more ice to relace the melted ice.

The first deer I ever skinned, I deboned it, and put it in a 5 gallion bucket, with Real salty water and left it for 2 days, before freezing.
It was so tender, and the blood was all gone.

Good Luck
Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

a hunters wife that dont like blood (what unherd of) lol.maybe florida deer are different than northern deer.i wouldnt soak my meat in water for anything..thats what meat coolers are for.it should hang a couple days anyway.by then it shouldnt be too bad maybe she should buy nasty ol hamburger at the store pumped full of dye to make it look red,,,lol
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

"a hunters wife that dont like blood (what unherd of) lol."

It's rough tell me..she does have a lot of possitives..VERY SMART , 5 star good, beautiful, allows me all the time I want to hunt and fish and even buy toys to a certain degree..can cook the venison and hog perfectly..falls off the bone

now the negatives..she prays I don't bring nothing home..that's a hard pill to swallow, she's a cat lover ..we feed 10 ferrals that come into our home daily through the door I made.] -;..hey she's my wife..

I was disappointed the other day when she wouldn't even try some great backstrap..off a recent hog. She said," It's the blood..up north we used to hang the game.."Biblically speaking { We are Christians} "I think it's wrong to eat blood." She is correct ..and it is biblical so I posted this...I do remember way back that my dad was a perfectionist about everything and we would soak our suirrels about 2 hours ..Deer sesaon in Maryland was in Dec. so we would hang them..

I also know from experience that over soaking them will make your deer tasteles..that stinks too. I also know that bacteria can grow and produces in water..thus the reason for ice water..SO I plan to use salted ice water for about 5 hours..Our archery in FL is generally in 80degree weather.I need her to like eatting venison..need some encouragement here from the wife.{ -;

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Chuck7; 07-29-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Why not buy an old refrigirator and convert it into meat hanging locker? You can hang quarters in the refrigirator for a good 2 weeks.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Dominant Buck

If i was that good of a hunter..I'd say yes sir..
Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Was that above post a good example of SPAM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.