Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ammo for the Anti's >

Ammo for the Anti's

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ammo for the Anti's

Old 02-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ammo for the Anti's

ORIGINAL: LeftyBuckmaster

Last year my neighbor shot a deer during gun season and when i looked at it i saw it was missing part of its jaw and probably happened because some psycho that shouldn't have a bow in the first place saw it was a nice 10pt and wanted to take a quick shot at it that stuff makes responsible hunters look bad
Did you read the recent threadS about head and neck shots? How about all the threads about shooting at running deer? Maybe the multitudes of threads about wounded one, missed one, hit a twig and jumped the string threads?

How about the threads about How far can I shoot? 20, 50 75 yards? I believe they were ALL mentioned.

It's a little late now to be wringing hands over one deer with a jaw knocked off if people aren't going to call a spade a spade when all the rest of this reckless irresponsible BS gets plaster on the world wide web for public consumption.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

ORIGINAL: LeftyBuckmaster

Last year my neighbor shot a deer during gun season and when i looked at it i saw it was missing part of its jaw and probably happened because some psycho that shouldn't have a bow in the first place saw it was a nice 10pt and wanted to take a quick shot at it that stuff makes responsible hunters look bad
Did you read the recent threadS about head and neck shots? How about all the threads about shooting at running deer? Maybe the multitudes of threads about wounded one, missed one, hit a twig and jumped the string threads?

How about the threads about How far can I shoot? 20, 50 75 yards? I believe they were ALL mentioned.

It's a little late now to be wringing hands over one deer with a jaw knocked off if people aren't going to call a spade a spade when all the rest of this reckless irresponsible BS gets plaster on the world wide web for public consumption.
What's wrong with taking 50 yard shots? I live out west and hunt in areas where shots up to 50 yards aren't all that uncommon. I practice nearly every weekend during the summer at this distance and am extremely comfortable taking a 50 yard shot at a relaxed animal. What's wrong with shooting a deer that is walking if you know you can make the shot? We've got a target set on our property that when someone reels it in it moves. We practice these types of shots all summer too.

Don't lump everyone who makes these types of shots into the same bunch. Not all of us are reckless and irresponsible. Some of us do take the time to practice.

As for the dog, that kind of thing makes me sick. I was also shocked to see how many people would be quick to shoot a tresspassing dog on their property. The last time I checked my dog didn't know how to read "No Tresspassing" signs and he didn't know a property boundary unless it was a chain link fence.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

The whole problem with the way things operate today is that they are "allowed" to be determined emotionally and often illogically. That dog looked wild and probably was dumped some where in the country. Why?
Have you ever tried to take a dog to the "humane" society. They typically don't take any (they are full is the excuse) in and now have placed cameras outside their buildings to catch people who drop off their unwanted animals when it is closed.

We are hunters for a number of reasons, one is population control. Wild, unwanted dogs need to be controlled as well, that's why the "humane" society destroys them. If you guys want organizations like them to be the only ones allowed to use this form of population control keep allowing them to prepare the battle grounds. Why didn't they just destroy the dog? They destroy how many a day? Emotions. Take that weapon away from them and their done. This dog should have been done the first time some one saw it this way. THIS IS WHAT RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE DO!!! THERE ARE PAINFUL THINGS IN LIFE THAT HAVE TO BE DONE!!! People should be outraged that it wasn't done and quickly.

Turn off the tv, cut the supply of money going into these organizations from the media and take a couple years of your life and read world history books (at least 100 years old, not new revisionist crap) and you will see, these tactics are as old as the hills and as destructive as a world war because societies that allow this kind of rule don't last long, even countries that were super powers.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:19 AM

Nodog, I have one thing to say to you . . . .

DITTO

As far as the subject of the post, I am also disgusted. I believe somebody willing to leave a dog like that deserves the same. I would never arrow a dog unless it was self defense and I had no other weapon. If it needed killing, and some dogs do, it would only be if I could do it quick and sure.

I was one of the ones on the other post who said I would kill an uncontrolled dog after I had exhausted other options, just like the nice rancher in Livingston, MT did for me. My dog got on his ranch and harrassed his cattle three times. He warned me that it wasn't going to go on for much longer. He have me a few more chances because he could see I was trying. Luckily I finally found my beloved dog's escape route and fixed it. I would not have blamed him for shooting her dead.

I sure hope nobody would equate efficiently killing an uncontrolled dog with the disgusting act depicted in this thread. That is completely different.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:01 AM

I just read article in turkey hunting mag.that two groups coming togrther and they were going after archery first.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I was turkey hunting on a buddies property when I was confronted with a pitbull at point blank range. the dog was anything but friendly, and I did what I could (mind you I didn't need to be nice because I was holding a loaded mossberg) to calm it down. it charged me, I shouldered the gun and the dog finally went away. I am glad nothing happened. I consider this to 'be in danger'. that little mutt was solid muscle, and didn't last another six months as it attacked a neighbor and he shot and killed it.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the part that gets me.
The young adult dog, tentatively named Easton after the brand of hunting arrow, was originally reported to McKinley County animal control officers at about 8:30 a.m. on Friday as a stray.
Notice the careful wording the author used in their article.
Easton after the brand of hunting arrow
Again
hunting arrow
Why did it have to be a hunting arrow, Easton makes alot of arrows.
Most of which are classified as just that---Arrows.

The term "Hunting" thrown in there is what is the little key that turns people reading the article off.
The average Joe would not even think that there are shooters of bows that never hunt just as there are hunters that do not shoot bows.

Articles like that are what turn me off to the un-educated authors. Little hits like that to us only fuels the fire on the "slow burn" basis.
The author could have driven the point of the article by just simply saying the dog was named "Easton" after the brand of arrow.
From the picture and the article and position of the arrow, with it being plainly written in the article it appears that it was an arrow tipped with a field point, Surely not a "hunting" set up.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

What's wrong with taking 50 yard shots? I live out west and hunt in areas where shots up to 50 yards aren't all that uncommon. I practice nearly every weekend during the summer at this distance and am extremely comfortable taking a 50 yard shot at a relaxed animal. What's wrong with shooting a deer that is walking if you know you can make the shot?

The last time I checked my dog didn't know how to read "No Tresspassing" signs and he didn't know a property boundary unless it was a chain link fence.
What ever kid.

What ever ya want, my point is to just don't start getting all teary eyed over some PETA propaganda about a "duck with an arrow in it's head" after taking those TV shots and these threads have been full of wounded one posts for months. IMO there's not much difference between either situation most of the time and the sack cloth and ashes routine over one animal that happens to get on TV is pretty hypocritcal after a season of bad shots, thousands of wounded and wasted trophy animals, followed by "there there, that's all right, it happens to EVERYONE once in a while". I've seen some of these posters over and over in the wounded one category and those are just the ones they readily admit to.

As for the dog, hopefully the owner can read better than the dog can. After all he is suppose to be the responsible one, not the other way around. If a chain link fence is what it takes, it's part of YOUR responsibility when you take on a pet, NOT MINE.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

Reading all the posts about the dog situation brings me back years ago when i took my hunter education class and one phrase i can remember by the instructer was "if you ever see a stray dog or cat out in the field i wouldn't hesitate to shoot it" ,,not that i would though but only if it were a threating situation, the pioint the instructor was making was because of all the stray animals that would go and harrass wound or kill game.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:10 AM

if i caught a dog either breaking through my fencing for the chickens or already through it killing my chickens, his/her owner would get 1 chance to make sure it didn't happen again, and that would be more than they would expect, and they'd gladly replace any injured or killed chickens. if the dog was being aggressive towards me while i was trying to get it out or away, well, you know. it wouldn't even cause weird relations at all with any of my neighbors for me to drop off one of their dead dogs in their driveway, or in the ditch at the end of the holler. same if it happened to mine. while we all love our dogs, we all understand a dog killing someone's food or production animals is a dead dog, and that's ok.

BUT THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE OF LIVING IN THE COUNTRY VS. THE CITY.