Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ammo for the Anti's >

Ammo for the Anti's

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ammo for the Anti's

Old 02-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Ammo for the Anti's

The paper today has a big picture of a dog with an arrow stuck in it's head, entering just above the eye stuck halfway through. A vet is holding the dog, looking helpless as ever at the camera. The blurb under the pic says a Gallup, New Mexico homeower found the dog on their doorstep, and took it to the vet. The dog lived, and is doing fine, after having the arrow removed. The vet nicknamed the dog "Easton", after the brand of arrow. A $1,000 reward is up for turning in whoever shot the dog.

This is the kind of classless, dirtbag stuff that gives us bowhunters bad reputations. Try walking up to a rural house in that area and asking if you can bowhunt this fall.....[:@]

I know people on this site would never do something like this, but some of us know people who would.

Stuff like this neesds to stop if we want to keep hunting. People who do stuff like this need a trip out behind the woodshed, by us responsible hunters.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Ammo for the Anti's

Have you seen this thread?

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

People really need to be responsible about their actions.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the article about the dog.

Shot dog
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a hunter and yes I 'kill' animals--and EAT them!!
But a person who does something like this to an animal for whatever his/her reason, should be given the same treatment in return.

Being a bowhunter myself I totally denounce this sort of behavior.
I wish I knew who this SOB is!!!
Please excuse my out-burst, but this is taking it too far!!![:@].
Old 02-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

that is just sickening. I've had passing notions to shoot menacing dogs during bow season, but never pick up the bow. I had one this past year come in, and I had more fun messing with him than anything else. I'd clap my hands and scare the heck out of him, and finally he got the point and left. and the spike that I passed that came in later didn't care less about the dog. it is difficult to say from the pic, but it looks as though it may be a crossbow bolt. either way, the person who did this needs to be punished, severely
Old 02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah that's pretty harsh thing to do and i agree, it'll give the antis' some fuel for their ''cause''. I'm sure there was more to this story then what is being told but if the dog didn't so anything aside from being at the wrong place at wrong time, i am glad its going to survive. I think the reward for turning the person(s) who did that should be held accountable for their actions is a good idea. Makes us bowhunters look bad though so i'm not too happy about the whole incident[:@]
Old 02-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I could not believe how many people said they would shoot someones dog on the deer hunting site when I read the post the other day. I was so disgusted when I read it that I did not even post. I was in disbelief that there were so many hunters that felt this way. Just sickening.[:'(]
Old 02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Last year my neighbor shot a deer during gun season and when i looked at it i saw it was missing part of its jaw and probably happened because some psycho that shouldn't have a bow in the first place saw it was a nice 10pt and wanted to take a quick shot at it that stuff makes responsible hunters look bad
Old 02-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the only time a dog should be shot is if you are in danger. You don't have to be an anti for something like this to turn your stomach. It just isn't right. I've had dogs chase deer many times while deer hunting. The deer live with it year round and they do just fine. A healthy deer has no trouble getting away from dogs. After the dogs run past my stand the deer soon go back to doing what deer do. Most times these dogs are not strays but belong to someone even if they don't have a collar. Most people in rural areas don't pen their dogs up. If you can't kill a deer don't blame it on the dogs.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree then. Here's my reasoning why...... Just a few years ago, a bunch of houses (and I mean more than 100) went up around my dad's house. Where I grew up was on a farm. I always did 4-H, raising steers, dairy cows, pigs and dad raised a few sheep, too. One day my dad heard the pigs squealing up a storm, when he went to check it out he found 2 dogs had slaughtered 6 hogs, wounded 3 (hamstrung) and were trying to kill the 3 that were left. He ran back to the house and yelled for my brothers to get their shotguns. They ended up killing 1 dog and wounding the other. The owners of the dogs had to pay for the loss and damage that they had done. Over the years we've occasionally had problems with other dogs come and chase and even kill a few of the sheep. The problem is this, once a dog has the taste of an animal and they like it (or even just the chase) they will keep coming back for more. If the owner can't be responsible, then there is a chance that they will lose their dog. Do I agree that they shoot them with a bow? No. If an animal has to be taken care of to protect your family or property, then it should be done as quickly and as humanely as possible. I don't agree with what happened to this dog and I agree that it is fuel for the anti's. In Idaho the only reason that you can use a hound to hunt is for bear or cougar. I think if you use dogs for any other purpose it is in violation of the fair chase rule. Does that mean that there are areas where they should and can use dogs? Maybe. I've never lived near one, so I can't really say for sure. My whole point here is that there is more than just one reason why some dogs need to be taken care of. If the owner can't be responsible and respectful, then they just might lose a dog or more. That being said, I have 2 dogs of my own. I would hate to see anything horrible happen to them. But, I can honestly say that if they ever did harm to anyone or anything, well, I would have to deal with the same consequences. Would I like it? No, but if you live by the sword you should be willing to die by the sword.

Quick Reply: Ammo for the Anti's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.