Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody else off to a bad start? >

Anybody else off to a bad start?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody else off to a bad start?

Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anybody else off to a bad start?

I'v seen alot of does but no bucks & most of the does were small. Had 2 come in opening day & didnt shoot cuz they were small & the bigger of the two ended up busting me. I think she told all the other deer too because nuthings coming by that stand anymore. I'v been out probably 10 afternoons now & didnt get one till last thursday even though I see them almost evey time out. I tricked one last week with the climber so got meat anyway. I'm going to try taking a week off from that spot. Hell I got till Jan 30.
Still stinks tho if my previous hotspots shot for the season. That stands on the edge of a swamp with a ledge running along it only 8 to 10 feet away. The deer were coming thru there like it was a highway before. Now they seem to be gong around the house & coming in from the other side.
It is great just to be out there tho & seeing all these does I think things will start hopping in a few weeks or so.
Gotta be patient.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:58 PM

I've only been out four times(usually by now it's more like fifteen or so), but every time I've seen deer, only one little one in range. This year is different for me as I'm a first time dad(son Caden is four mos). I wouldn't call it bad as I spend most of my free time with him, it's just really weird for me not to be hunting morning and night. I guess that's where these forums come in handy, if you can't be out for a couple of hours, at least you can jump in for ten minutes and talk about it with others!!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:34 PM

I haven't been able to hunt near as much as I would like to cause I got a wedding Im standing in a month away. I am going to be the main guy up front so if I dont do anything to help I hear all about it. Go ahead and say it.... get used to it hahahha
Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Have been out ten times and have seen deer about half the time. Have let two smaller bucks walk. Corn is still up in both farms I hunt...plus it's been a bit warm (in the evenings) in Central IL. But we are getting some weather coming in and one of the farms should have the corn out by the weekend...we'll see. My buddy who usually has one down by now has seen only two yearlings about 100 yards out. So yeah, I would say it's been a bit slow, but I know others around here are killing deer, so it's only a matter of time I guess. It's just nice to get out.