Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 looking to start >

looking to start

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

looking to start

Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default looking to start

nevermind....i just seen mossys post on the topic...i'll read over and see if i have any questions

sorry...delete this if you have the powers
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: looking to start

I have to answer this anyway. I have been reloading full time since 1975-76. The other day I decided to set up my loading stuff in the Garage for the summer. I decided to try the Lee Anniversary kit which Scheels had on sale for 69.95. I might get flamed for this but I can't believe the quality of this inexpensive loading kit which comes with the Press, the scale, the powder measure, powder funnel, deburring tool, primer pocket cleaner and a tube of case lube and a small Hodgdon manual. The only thing it does not have that you need to start is the die set of your choice. Now this is of course not the quality of a 300-400 dollar RCBS or Lyman kit but its sturdy and loads good ammo. I just left all my other stuff on the bench in the basement for winter. Best 70.00 I ever spent. Kind of got my juices flowing again
Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx james....maybe i'll go that route...i seen all the major names sale kits and packages..

gotta get me a GOOD scope first...then we will see...tough bein a college kid with a ton of hobbies...i work a couple months a year and gotta bank cash...but always manage to buy toys. bought a new rifle...scope soon to come...then we will go from there...if not i'll get into reloading sooner or later...

i just think it would be a good way to spend the off season...reloading and shooting and finding my own load that my rifles like etc...and 22$ a box for factory ammo to shoot groundhogs...i KNOW i can load them cheaper than that...and get even better accuracy...by the time i get into reloading i should have a nice pile of brass to start too...
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

mauser06 if you are going to shoot more than once or twice a year reloading is the way to go.
James I won't be flaming you I have been reloading somewhere around fifty years and you should see my reloading bench,I have a dukes mixture of reloading manufactors on it.I have picked up a piece here and there over the years and it still is basic for reloading,if you count the dies I would have to say lee makes up about 85 to 90 % of my reloading equiptment.I think it is good and it works.
I shoot at least once a week so I have to reload a few days aweek,I only have a single rcbs press but I can keep up with my shooting.
I bought a rcbs uniflow powder measure last year used it a few times didn't like it as much as the lee put it back in the box mounted my lee back on the bench.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

and get even better accuracy
My accuracy really hasn't improved all that much. I stillam hard pressed to beat factory Hornady in that department. And I definitely haven't saved any money. I just shoot more.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats the name of the game.For a starter kit that Lee Aniversery kit can't be beat. I have a Rock Chucker RCBS press and a Lee Turret press and a ouple of Lee progressive loaders as well. I have had the complete line of Lyman loading equipment as well. I set that up for my son.