Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Which to start with?

Old 10-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Which to start with?

I'm looking into getting a traditional hunting bow when I canspare the cash(another six months at least). So I was wondering which was better to start off with, a longbow or a recurve? I'd like to shoot both some day.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which to start with?

These days there is so much variety in grip styles and hybrid bows that it's really hard to say that either one is really a better way for the beginner to go. But still, I thinkit's generally a good idea to start out with a recurve and then graduate to the longbow.

It doesn't take a whole of of money to get started either. Pick up a used Pearson or Shakespeare recurve on Ebay - something in the 45 pound range - a dozen arrows, glove or tab and an arm guard and you can still havechange left over from a $150 bill. If you decide to sell the bow later, to get a new one or if you decide traditional is just too much fun and isn't for you, it's a pretty safe bet you can get your money back for the bow.

That's what I would suggest doing.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started with a Fred Bear superkodiak recurve. It's treated me well, and has really help me develop into a very respectable shot. I shoot instinctive and that bow has helped me along the path back down the traditional route.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:41 AM

You really need to shoot both and see what you like. I started with a recurve and now shoot a longbow