Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fail safe idea for stand theft... >

Fail safe idea for stand theft...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fail safe idea for stand theft...

Old 09-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Spike

Default RE: Fail safe idea for stand theft...

i bought a lock on stand from Sports authority that is all steel solid as a rock but weighs a ton. IT comes with a chain to connect to the tree.. a heavy duty tree and it only costs about $25...with a cheap lock on the chain you in the hole for 26 or 27$ so if some nut wants to take it your loss will be at a minimum...otherwise hunt a climber
Old 09-02-2004, 07:40 PM

I too am worried about a stand i have set up. Thank you for posting. With the cost of these being in the hundreds, i think the divorce rate will be the greatest among bowhunters,when the wife finds out about the stolen property.
I think i will do as the mag i was just reading suggested, and that is taking a section of the stand and hiding it nearby. Maybe this will discourage the thief, or leave you with a partial piece of property.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:19 PM

Cable, chain, locks, etc, will only prevent a theft when the would be thief is not prepared. If a person is prepared (necessary tool); cable, chains, locks, etc, will not prevent a theft. The security measures will only cause the theft to take longer to complete.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:31 PM

i agree with the guy who said stick em to the tree and pin a note on em i have had 2 stands stolen and even caught a guy in my stand which was almost the end of that goon thats just as bad in my eyes to hunt from another fellas stand that he took time to scout and put up. KILL EM ALL!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Fork Horn

Setup a couple lookouts maybe even yourself and post them at or near your stand as sentrys for that golden moment when someone or somebodies are ready to snatch away your stand and at that instant when they do make there move shoot something into them that they'll remember for a long time to come, do it in such a stealthy cunning fashion that they won't remember where they are what they came for but most importantly make damn sure the painful awareness that they are about to put themselves into.

_A good theft deterent
Old 09-03-2004, 04:55 AM

I used to have stands stolen all the time. A few years ago I started putting little notes on my stands that say "WARNING: STAND AREA MONITORED W/ INFRARED CAMERA" I've yet to have a stand stolen since I started doing this. "knock on wood" I think it would deter a would be thief w/ just the possibility that there picture was taken to link them to the crime. So far it's worked for me. Most of my stands also have a chain and padlock which could obviously be cut if someone wanted it enough.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:24 AM

C903...the chain and lock I was referring to is one that cannot be cut by bolt cutters (hence the big $$ for it)

http://www.locks.com/product.asp?0=223&1=224&3=18

Obviously the would be thieves could either cut my stand itself or cut the tree down but I have to believe that this lock will deter them. I hope I am right.