Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester Supreme 140 gr Fail Safe >

Winchester Supreme 140 gr Fail Safe

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Supreme 140 gr Fail Safe

Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default Winchester Supreme 140 gr Fail Safe

I was recently up in Gaithersburg MD and went to a Dick's Sporting Goods Storewhere I saw that they were blowing out the Win Supreme 140 gr Failsafes in 270 wsm for $4.88 a box. The salesman there advised that they were blowing them out for an unknown reason & I couldn't beleive how cheap they were so I grabbed the lasttwoboxes on the shelf. My question is, do any of you guys have any experience with this ammo? & does anyone know why they would blow this ammo out so cheap? Last time I checked, Bass Pro had them listed at about $34.00 a box. Thanks for the help folks.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 AM

Default RE: Winchester Supreme 140 gr Fail Safe

Wish I ran up on that deal!!!

I think they did not mushroom enough on most medium sized game to satisfy most customers ! Almost like a lot of people were getting the performance of a FMJ type bullet on deer sized game !!

So they came up with the Supreme Elite XP3's and they are supposed to give Failsafe penetration but mushroom a little more. And they are discontinuing the Fail safe !!

That's what I came up with from some internet reading !! I know my buddy has killed several things with Failsafe's!!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Cool deal, thanks CBM. I saw that they were rated by Win for larger sized game but if thats the case I should be alright as I plan to hunt deer with them.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

its my understanding that they are made for larger game and made not to expand a whole lot but to penetrate and bust big bone etc. if used on deer they will kill it. put it right where it needs to be. but it may not expand much at all compared to other bullets. it will most likely blow right through...but holes through the vitals is a dead deer..good deal though...i wouldnt passed it up either way.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah thats what I was thinking too Mauser...for that price I probably would have bought the whole lot!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

They work fine on deer. My hunting partner used the 160 CT Failsafe for deer to moose in his 280 rem, never witnessed any problems on the game end of things. I have used them for elk and moose with great results. The only problems I have found is they seem to be bore picky, some love em and some hate em'.

Why they are blowing them out is because they have been discontinued and haven't been produced by Nosler for awhile now, just depleting stock. If you love them you may have troubles finding them. FYI, part of the Combined Technologies lineup, a partnership between Olin(Winchester) and Nosler. Nosler makes the: Failsafe, Accubond and Ballistic Tip bullet to Winchesters specs. Winchester produces the loaded cartridgesusing the CT bullets.

Ihave not been able to figure outwho is producing the XP3 bullet for Winchester, but it appears to be the Failsafe successor as mentioned.

Can't go wrong with that price though!!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Have any of you guys tried those XP3's? They almost sound too good to be true..