Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fail safe idea for stand theft... >

Fail safe idea for stand theft...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fail safe idea for stand theft...

Old 08-30-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Fail safe idea for stand theft...

This might not be a new concept, but this is what I came up with.

I went out and bought 3/8" cable(@ .69/foot) at 6' lengths.....2 cable clamps per cable (@ .49 per clamp)..(the ones that have a horseshoe bolt that two nuts go on) and a big Masterlock. Make a loop on each end of the cable with the cable clamp and tighten the heck out it. Then I had a buddy tag weld the nuts on the bolt so they won't ever come off no matter what. The masterlock at around $5 a pop and then about $3 for the cable and clamp. I don't think anyone is going to be able to get through this baby unless they have some industrial size bolt cutter. The whole setup is much cheaper than chain(which most people can cut through with ease) and is almost rip off proof. What do ya think?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fail safe idea for stand theft...

we found bike locks in two foot sections for 2$ a piece real thick cable with 1/2" of plastic around teh cable and tehy come with keys... all together for 4 of them so thats 2 stands protected on it was like $8.78
Old 08-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Don't mean to rain on your parade but any common bolt cutter will cut through the padalock with ease.[] I know what the ads say, but as a Police Officer I see it on a daily basis. Unless you spend like $40 on the huge ones, a bolt cutter does a real nice job.[:@]

To solve the crime problem, don't hire more Police Officers...build more jails and hire more jailers. Then put the a$$holes away for a long, long, time. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Masterlocks are the easiest locks to pic - you can get in one in under 4 seconds.

I'd go with a corrosion proof lock with anti-pic pin or combination wheel.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:25 AM

mind you I ain't gonna steal your stand......but my cordless sawzall could cut right through your cable or chain or lock. Or some redneck with a chain saw could do the same thing. Nothing is ever thief proof. We just try to make it **not worth their while**

good luck!!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 AM

Wow guys....thanks for raining on my jolly parade.

I thought I had something going here. Here I was sittin on the shi**er Sunday morning reading the paper and came up with this. Granted it's not a stellar idea, but one I thought would do the trick. Back to the drawing board. If nothing else, I've maybe made some think that it's not worth the effort.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:51 AM

I'll post again on the subject because I believe this is the best tree stand lock ever invented and it's worth every penny of the $20.00 it cost.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=145438

The lock attaches to the tree via an eyebolt you screw into the tree about 2". The lock then covers the eyebolt leaving nothing to be cut. The way they show it set up in the pic is upside down from how I lock it. I like to lock it with the key hole pointed down for two reasons. the first is obviously to keep water and grime out. Second if someone were inclined to try and smash the lock the wouldn't be able to get a good swing at it.

I've really looked it over and I think it's fail proof. Only time will tell.
*one last note. I pickled up a few of these at wallyworld after the season ended last year. $10.00
Old 08-30-2004, 11:30 AM

From another police officer nothing is theft proof. It would definitly slow them down but if they want it bad enough they will get it or if they can't they tend to get mad and destroy the stand out of spite. Nothing would surprize me anymore.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

FYI, Bolt cutters won't cut through cabel. They make a pliar size tool called nibblers. They are made to cut through one half inch cable in seconds. DAMN CROOKS........Good luck keeping your stands.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did the same thing I used cable. I know that someone could still steal my stand, but if is locked down much less chance they will take it.

Quick Reply: Fail safe idea for stand theft...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.