Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Winchester Fail Safe Bullet >

Winchester Fail Safe Bullet

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Winchester Fail Safe Bullet

Old 01-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester Fail Safe Bullet

What are your thoughts and or experiances with this bullet?
I harvested a 4x5 elk in 2004 using a 7mm Mag. Witha 160gr.Winchester Fail Safe bullet. It seemed to me that the bullet just punched holes when it hit.(all the rounds exited theelk)I hit him 3 times, 2 in the liver and 1 in the lungs. I hit ribs to. My first shot was ranged at 317yrds. Did the bullet lose to much energy to do the damage I was expecting? Just seems to rip up deer alot more.It was myfirst elk hunt, so maybe I didnt relize how tough of an animal they really are!
This round shoots excellant out of my rifle so I'm a little leary to try something differant.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Winchester Fail Safe Bullet

I've taken several elk with a FS, no problems. But have since gone back to the NPs for everything. Never shot a deer with the FS, so can't comment.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

I use the FS and TSX bullets in both my elk and deer guns. Both do an excellent job, althought the TSX is a bit more accurate. I use the FS in my .338 and the TSX in my .300.

My hunch is that due to the solid construction of each bullet, neither will do much unless a heavy bone or...gulp....lots of meat is the impact point.

I really like the NPs as well, just don't use them anymore.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:18 AM

I had the same results on black bear TOW2ATM. Two shots, two hits, basically they made an x through the chest, behind right shoulder and throught left leg, hitting bone and then through right shoulder and out low behind the left. Bear ran 500 yards before dropping, and was standing still at the first shot. In my opinion there is no way the bear should not have dropped on the first shot. That was the last time I used them. They get great penetration but did not expand nor transfer the energy into the animal. Not worth my money in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem bullet makers have is designing a bullet that will perform well from 50 yards out to 500 yards. With super-fast velocities at close range they have to make their bullet tough enough to hold together. At extended ranges the bullet is flying much slower (sometimes as slow as 1500fps or slower) and won't expand as muchso it's hard to make a bullet that will perform well at both extremes.

I'm guessing that due to the range and possible lower velocity of the bullet when it reached the elk it didn't have quite enough energy and velocity to open up as well as it could. Thus the bullet travels right through the animal and out the other side, wasting some of it's energy on the ground beyond. That's the game you have to play when you hunt, is picking a bullet tough enough for a really close shot or a quartering shot where you have to pass the bullet through more of the animal than say a broadside shot. Failsafes are a very tough bullet and will hold together under the harshest shot so a broadside shot will do little more than punch small holes through.

If you consistently take a 300 yard shot at broadside animals you might want to check out some other bullets. The Nosler Partition is a good bullet as it's soft in the front for good expansion at long ranges but also has a partition in the rear to hold together in case you have a closer shot. I've used them and they work well. I've since switched to the Nosler Accubond but haven't had a chance to shoot a deer or elk with it yet so I can't comment on how it performs. I think it'll bea good round for deer and elk and black bear (my primary 3 species I hunt with my 7mm Rem Mag).
Old 01-18-2006, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: setter77

. In my opinion there is no way the bear should not have dropped on the first shot.
That is just an unrealistic expectation for any bullet. Unless you spine an animal they will rarely drop on the spot. With a good double lung shot most any big game animal will travel 50-100 yards.

I myself prefer the Nosler Partition bullet. You get the best of two worlds. Nice penetration and good expansion. I think the old partition design is the best.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:13 AM

I shot a good bear in the fall with my '06 and the 180 grain failsafe. Shot was under 50 yards. The bullet went through the lungs and the heart and the bear still had enough life in him to run out of sight (through dense brush...he went less than 20 yards).

If a double lung/heart shot isn't going to drop him, don't blame the bullet, just tough animals.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same results on black bear TOW2ATM. Two shots, two hits, basically they made an x through the chest, behind right shoulder and throught left leg, hitting bone and then through right shoulder and out low behind the left. Bear ran 500 yards before dropping, and was standing still at the first shot. In my opinion there is no way the bear should not have dropped on the first shot. That was the last time I used them. They get great penetration but did not expand nor transfer the energy into the animal. Not worth my money in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigiron

I use failsafes in my 300 win mag and have never hada problem with expansion. If you would read about a bullet before shooting it you would know more their made for controlled expansion, deep penetration, and weight retention, maybe not the perfect whitetail bullet but I use it with very good results. I would like to see a bearget shot through both shoulders twice and still run 500 yards I smell BS.Also you think if you would have been using a different bullet and hit it in the same spot it would have killed him any quicker com'on.I here alot a peoplewhine about how this bullet didnt work well if you want a hole you can stick your fist through go find some ballistic tips, remembertheir is no bullet that will drop game in its tracks every time it aint happen.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know. The last 2 Elk I shot with .300 WM 185 gr Failsafe Winchester premium both big animals stopped right in their tracks like with shots right behind and below and shoulders. I told 2nd shots just to make it quick for them. There definitedly was sizable exit and mucho blood, so they weren't going to go too far.

Maybe it is the combination of your choice of caliber and a lighter slug. Many variables to say in a situation.

I didn't see you say how far the animal ran and if you were up a chasing from the first shot. Even whitetail deer will go a long way with lethel shots if they are pushed hard. Grandpa Victor would used to say after shooting an animal (taking the shots you can while in sight) sit down for the time it would take to smoke a pipe (or have a cup of coffee). Then get up and track it. You give it time to lay down and bleed out if you don't push it. Otherwise, it may run for quite a ways and if the exit wound isn't bleeding out well, clog up and you may not catch up to it.

I don't know your situation though. If you got the animal, give thanks. You did well.

Quick Reply: Winchester Fail Safe Bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.