Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 "fail safe" Muzzleloader bullet >

"fail safe" Muzzleloader bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"fail safe" Muzzleloader bullet

Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default "fail safe" Muzzleloader bullet

here's the deal,

after me and my friend got done at the range saturday. I got talking to my friend and ask him if he wanted to go hunting with me next season. I know I need to get him out on the range with me. he has really bad eye sight, so it is going to be with my usak scoped.

what would be thought of as a ML "fail safe" bullet

Noslers partition
barnes xpb
any other manufacturers
bore size conical

I figure I would worry about it now and gather and find what may be needed

Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 AM

Default RE: "fail safe" Muzzleloader bullet

I dont think there is an answer for your question. A poorly hit animal is going to take forever to die no matter what you are shooting it with. Take you friend out and practice at distances he is comfortable seeing.

For us blind people, I find that a brown backed target "paper bag" with a 2 or 3" orange dot is easier to see on a bright sunny day.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know eather, just gotta get him out and shoot. get him use to shooting that ML. get a load for my new englander for me.

just thought I ask.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

here's the deal,

after me and my friend got done at the range saturday. I got talking to my friend and ask him if he wanted to go hunting with me next season. I know I need to get him out on the range with me. he has really bad eye sight, so it is going to be with my usak scoped.

what would be thought of as a ML "fail safe" bullet

Noslers partition
barnes xpb
any other manufacturers
bore size conical

I figure I would worry about it now and gather and find what may be needed
Either of those two are good, however for < 100 yard shooting I would say the Barnes MZ would be best for him to use. Why? Expands quickly (like in 1 inch), penetrates very well, huge wound channels and shoots thru even elk. A nice big bright scope would be the best for him, 40mm of 50mm objective lens. Chap Gleason
Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Barnes Expander MZ. You still have to put them in the right spot. But they do the job.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

I'd say pick a good bullet and get your friend shooting good enough to put the bullet where he is aiming. No bullet can make up for a poor shot. Kerry
Old 02-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got some on hand that may work. just gotta work up the loads for them. I got him out with me when I get that done. maybe a few plinking too.

I already got 2 loads. for my usak.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

With his vision problem [ ihave a friend that has the same kind of problem] concentrate on the scope. we put a 50mm 2X7 [very high lumes] on his now his shooting has greatly improved. You might get hiw to a big sporting goods store and have him look through some if his problem is the same he be able to tell the differance as soon as he looks though a really high lume scope. Lee
Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My choice would be the Barnes Expander MZ!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a buck a buddy of mine dropped in it's tracks when he shot low andmissed the body! The Barnes took offa front & rear leg. [:@]
No - I wouldn't recommend the shot, it was pure luck he was able to easily finish off that buck, but I question how many bullets would expand & stick together to give that performance.
I know of perhaps a dozen or so whitetails thatthe group I hunt withhas shot with Barnes Expanders, and all but one of those dropped in it's tracks. The one that didn't drop was a very poor hit (high - probably just caught the top of the back) and it crossed a flooded creek and couldn't be trailed before the rain washed away all sign. We checked his sights the next day and he was hitting abouta foot high at that range!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 PM

I'm a fan of nosler partitions in my centerfires. They open quickly and keep a wide, deep wound channel. I'd definitely put it upagainst other bullet designs for ML hunting.

Quick Reply: "fail safe" Muzzleloader bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.