Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 feathers vs. Vanes, need facts, not opinions >

feathers vs. Vanes, need facts, not opinions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

feathers vs. Vanes, need facts, not opinions

Old 08-24-2004, 08:22 AM

Default feathers vs. Vanes, need facts, not opinions

I have been getting into doing my own arrow work and bow work this year so I am learning alot. I always used to use feathers but got sick of them tearing apart and getting wet and looking busted up. Now i shoot vanes

What I would like to know is,

1. Is one faster thatn the other?
2. Is one less accurate than the other?
3. I bought arizona EZ-fletch, it applies the fletchings straight (or 1 degree) Is there a disadvantage to straight fletchings?
4. Is the weight difference between vanes and feathers anything to be concerned about?
5. What color fletchings fly the fastes?

(BTW, I shoot Carbons)

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:26 AM

Default RE: feathers vs. Vanes, need facts, not opinions

also, I know some people either dip the last 5 or 6 inches of there arrow, or use those white wraps. What do you think about this. What do you dip them in if you do that. And do you think wrapping adds way too much weight?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:40 AM

1. Yes, feathers are faster because they are lighter, but only out to about 60 yards, then the vanes take over because of less wind drag.
2. Feathers may be more accurate for broadheads because they disrupt more air causing better stability.
3. The only thing straight vs. helical is spin. The more helical, the more spin.
4. Feathers are lighter, so it depends on your total arrow weight weather it will be an issue or not.
5. Color makes no difference as it relates to speed.
6. Wraps do add weight back to your arrow, but I think it is about 12 gr.

The big disadvantage of feathers is that they don't like to be wet, so waterproof them.

Hope this helps! Good luck this year.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

1. I disagree slightly with Mob....yes feathers can technically be called faster......but you'll never see the difference out of the bow and down range feathers will slow an arrow much quicker due to wind drag. Will you see a difference in arrow performance...no in the fractions of seconds that arrows are measured, fps...it's really a mute point as which is faster.

2. Accuracy...no neither is more accurate....to a point, again. Both feathers and vanes can be dead on accurate with tuning...so if both can hit dead on...it's really a matter of acher accuracy rather than equipment. That being said, feathers do have more air drag and will stabilize an arrow quicker.... which in turn makes tuning broadheads easier. The sooner you get an arrow spinning out of a bow, the quicker it will stabilize flight.

3.Straight vs helical/or offset. Again, see the rule above. The quicker you get an arrow spinning out of a bow, the sooner it will stabilize. Helical helps the arrow to spin sooner out of the bow which in turn will stabilize flaws in arrow flight such as broadhead misallignment, larger fixed blades with may fight the fletch and try to steer the arrow. Offset as well will stabilze an arrow quicker.

4. The weight difference is marginal and it comes into play only when marginal FOC calculations occur. If your having arrow flight problems and all else is equal, well tuned bow, arrow to match...FOC might be an issue.

5. Color makes no difference as it relates to speed. BUT, I do recommend bright fletch for varies reason...to watch arrow flight and recognize flaws, to see the arrow in the animal to mark the wound sight(important in recover timing), to see the arrow on the ground afterward. (again, animal recovery).

The biggest factor in feathers vs vanes are durability and noise. Feathers can be noisier and of course the durability in them coming apart and weather issues.

I prefer vanes after many seasons of feather usage. I used feathers for tuning flaws but today with matched equipment and technology I eliminate those tuning flaws and use vanes for durability.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:41 AM

thanks for the responses guys. And I hope you know I was kidding with the color question. Color obviously makes no difference

Do you think I am making a mistake putting my fletchings straight? Should I be using a helical pattern? I can't do that with the EZ fletch and thats a handy tool.

Also, I understand the helical stuff, but what exactly is offset? Is that the distance from the knock? What is the correct distance?

Thanks a ton!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

One vane weighs more than three feathers of the same length and size. The difference can be substantial. Once past 60 yards, they say vanes are faster than arrows. Frankly, that's at least twice as far as I'll ever take a hunting shot, so that's a moot point. Over typical HUNTING distances, a feather fletched arrow IS faster by a few fps. Whether or not a few fps is that important is your decision to make.

Actually, I've found feathers to be FAR more durable than vanes. I fletched up a half dozen arrows with vanes two weeks ago. The feathers I pulled off before refletching had been on these same shafts for two YEARS. They were still shooting fine, but beginning to look a little ratty. Anyway, half of these freshly vane-fletched arrows already need to be refletched because the vanes have been cut or had holes shot in them from other arrows. Those same shots that ruined these vanes would have just ruffled feather fletches. Feathers get ruffled and you just smooth them back into shape. Vanes get destroyed.

Noise: If you put too much helical on feathers, they will hiss. Even at that, once they've been shot a bit and broken in - lost some of their stiffness, in other words - they're MUCH quieter. On the other hand, vanes can be noisy too, especially if they get wrinkled. Some of them flap like flags in the wind, making a healthy bit of noise. Vanes that are torn or have come loose sound like buzzbaits going thru the air. Vanes with holes in 'em whistle like a tea kettle.

Feathers do stabilize arrows quicker out of the bow. They also fold down as they pass an obstruction, and spring out after passing it. That means feathers are less likely to deflect if they accidently contact your arrow rest on the shot, or brush a stick on the way to the target. So, feathers are easier to tune and, where fletching contact can make a vane fletched arrow go nuts, the feather fletched arrow will stay pretty much on course.

Vanes are waterproof, but feathers can be treated with water repellent products.

The ONLY advantage vanes have over feathers is purchase price. The better quality vanes are half as expensive as feathers. However, COST is not the same as purchase price. When I can use feather fletches for two years and only get two weeks from a set of vanes.... That means, over time, vanes cost me 26 times as much as feathers do.

Think about it.

Check out this webpage. It's from Trueflight Feathers, so you know up front it's got a pro feathers slant but, honestly, I can't find a whole lot on this page to disagree with.

www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm
Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 AM

Bottom line is feathers are lighter than vanes. About 15 to 20 grn if you have 4 inch feathers vrs 4 inch vanes. That is where the extra speed comes from. And like said above vanes begin to take over feathers at around 50 or 60 yards because the plastic vanes have less resistance to air.

Feathers will increase your foc compared to vanes, because there is less weight on the back of the arrow

Feathers stabilize the arrow faster because they have more resistance to air

Feathers make more noise than vanes that are in good shape.

Feathers are more forgiving than vanes. Vanes are great until one gets damamged. Then they makes noise as well, and can also screw up arrow flight. Feathers can be really messed up and you will still get good arrow flight out of them.

Feathers are better with contact issues on the rest or riser.

Vanes are better if you hunt when it's nasty out.

Feathers generally cost more than vanes.

I think feathers come in more colors, I could be wrong about that though. I know they are brighter for the most part.

Is one more accurate than the other? Accuracy is a subjective thing, it depends on how well you tune your bow, or your arrow configuration. Some people can tune a bow well enough they don't even need fletching. Feathers are however a bit more forgiving in this department because they stabilize the arrow faster and have more drag. Probably not much better than vanes really. Especially if you have some sort of offset or helical to your fletching.

As far as fletching them straight goes. Most feathers have some natural curvature to them, even when fletched straight. So they would impart a slight amount of spin to the arrow any way. Plus they have more drag to begin with. Many people shoot straight vanes however with great results. It's all about the tuning in the end.

I have used both and can't really say one works better than the other. I just use feathers because I like the way they look and they take more abuse. I shoot a lot and you can really mess feathers up before having to re-fletch arrows. I don't particularly like fletching arrows. Heck I even have a couple with one feather missing, they still group pretty well with target points on.

I have a tip for you with your Easy fletch though. If you fletch one feather or vane at a time you can put the arm any where you want it. So you can put some offset into it if you want. Instead of putting the concave part on the shaft, just push it over a bit to the edge. Just make sure you do them all the same way. Oh, and you have to use some sort of fast setting glue like super glue or something. Hold it for 15 or 20 seconds and then do another feather or vane. I do all my fletches one at a time. I think it's more consistant that way. I don't care much for the arizona easy fletcher myself.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-24-2004, 10:19 AM

I posted the same time as Arthur, sorry. Pretty much said the same thing but in different order.

Paul
Old 08-24-2004, 10:27 AM

Actually, I've found feathers to be FAR more durable than vanes.
I agree 100%........

One hole or rip in a vane and its done. Pull out half a feather and it still flies great.

Give me those ratty feathers any day
Old 08-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

One hole or rip in a vane and its done. Pull out half a feather and it still flies great.
I disagree. When I shoot for groups, I'm tearing and putting holes in my vanes and they still group/fly with the rest. I've even continued to use a ripped vaned arrow in a tournament because it was the one that day...and without incident as far as accuracy.....I watched a guy win a 3D shoot with an arrow with only 2 vanes remaining. It's about the tuning....not the fletch and I'll take a vane over a feather everyday.

Quick Reply: feathers vs. Vanes, need facts, not opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.