Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting

Old 07-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting

in the original question salt licks were talked about as a possibility for bait. licks will act as an attractant but in my state of new jersey around september it doesnt draw deer much like the spring and summer so i wouldnt spend my money on them unless you really want to . if your lucky enough to have good food plots like on private land or able to hunt farmers propery you might not need bait as you can set up a strategy to catch the deer coming and going. i use corn from time to time on public land but it is no sure thing. they will feed more likely at night after a while in my hunting spots. i use the bait to attract them to a general area then i figure out things from there.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

baiting is just one of those thing thats always debated anyway i do it some places but in missouri its not legal
Old 07-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not going to debate the bait issue, but this is a rather interesting story.
In PA we cannot bait, everything has to be removed from the area 30 days before season. BUT in suburban areas that doesn't mean people have to stop feeding deer in thier yard. So every night that I hunted behind the house I got to watch all the deer go to my neighbors yard for feed, rather than under my tree for the crappy acorns that fell. Along comes summer and he's ranting up a storm, spending money on deer repellent, cause the deer are eating his garden......what else can be said about the moron. The saddest thing is that he himself hunts. He is SO old school though, wants to shoot the 1st crappy buck by him, and considers it a sin to shoot a doe.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Question for the pro-baiters:

If baiting isn't a sure thing and produces no better results than fair chase why bother to put out bait piles ? From the way I've heard it described(illegal as Hell here) a fella goes through an awful lot of time and expense for such little gain . One guy I know spends a couple of thousand dollars each year tending his food plots(not illegal here) , he's an admitted trophy hunter .

Ok , so why do it if the result is no different than tagging a deer in the wild ?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 AM

Baiting in my state is legal and I do it occasionally. I use corn or apples. I never just dump them in a pile though, I usually spread it out over a 20 or 30 yd area, it seams like it will last a little longer that way.

For all of those who do not bait or find it unethical, I respect you opinion, but I dont recal Greenhead Man asking for your opinion. His original post didnt ask for a lecture or a disortation on the ethics of baiting, he asked for tips on how or what to bait. If you dont bait, dont reply, to a guy asking for help with something that is legal and a common practice. Save your opinions for the "baiting whats your opinion?" threads.