Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting

Old 07-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Baiting

What do you guys use for baiting? I bought a salt and mineral block, but that is all that i have so far. I have heard of block topper/and stump topper or whatever. Is it worth it? Also along the lines of corn, where do you purchase your corn, and how much? Do you spread it out on the ground or keep it piled up?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!!!
Greenhead.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Baiting

well...your post could open up a can of worms...we all have our opinions on baiting...i am against it...why do you need to use bait? baiting and hunting are two distinct things IMO.

slayer
Old 07-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Greenhead Man

What do you guys use for baiting?
Skill , luck , and a buttload of patience ...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:29 PM

What do you guys use for baiting?

My own blood, sweat, and tears.

slayer
Old 07-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Personally, I'm against the use of bait for deer, but there are a few in my area who do it. Mainly they use hay. They'll bring in 5 or 6 bails of it and hunt over it. They tried corn once, but being as the deer's teeth weren't used to it, they soon gave up and headed back to their normal feeding areas. They'll sometimes spring for a 25lb. bag of Buck Grub and have gotten mixed results with it. Salt blocks and mineral blocks are put out in front of their trail cams and they seem to get decent results from those too.

We call people around here who bait "Masterbaiters."
Old 07-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't bait but I hunt over a feild corner where the farmer dumps the odd shaped or broken pumpkins. The deer love them ,I have watched 6 deer kicking open pumpkins they usely only eat the pulp.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

In the past I've used baiting. I would use corn to fatten them up before the slaughter just like they do the steer before they kill them. Steer graze on grass up until the last three months. The corn will sweeten the meat. I didn't buy a big feeder I just dumped the bag on the ground. One time I was up to 2-3 a week.

I no longer bother because I don't hunt my property anymore. I don't have the time and don't care for eating deer anymore. I let who ever wants to hunt it kill what ever they want. I have been noticing some big tracks, maybe I need to scout here and see if it's worth my while.

Don't sweat the nay sayers. Baiting is very ethical. You can only shoot a few deer but you help a whole bunch.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure where you're hunting but if you are anywhere where there is a food source then you already have bait and if you have deer, then you obviously have a food source and therefore you are in luck and already have enough bait needed to hunt deer. Throwing down a pile of corn usually only attracts does, fawns, and really young and dumb bucks. Most action is nocturnal at a bait site and as far as corn goes, it is a fact that too much corn can be harmful, if not fatal, for deer. The corn is very acidic and too much corn can kill necessary bacteria within the digestive system of a deer which results in a fouled up digestive system which results in severe bloating, lethargy, and perhaps death. So if you're looking for any easy way to get a deer within 20 yards, bait is not the answer. Focus on food, bedding, and transitions between the two for stand locations...good luck.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jus thought of somethimg is even legal in your state ?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:07 AM

Like wolfen said, you will only find does and immature animals at bait sites during daylight hours, and that is usually right at dark.

Quick Reply: Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.