Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Kicked Up two nice bucks...will they be back? >

Kicked Up two nice bucks...will they be back?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kicked Up two nice bucks...will they be back?

Old 07-26-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Kicked Up two nice bucks...will they be back?

I was just out doing a little deer scouting. I came across an area were some tree's have been knocked down and the grass was grown up. I figure it would hold some deer so i went over to scout it. I came across a well beaten down deer trail. I figured it was a doe trail by how used it looked. I followed the trail about 100 yards. At the end of a trail it came to a field that was not visible from the nearest road. I eased my way into the field. I heard a deer snort, then stomp. Two deer took off running. I walked up to see if i could see what they were. To my surprise both were bucks. And nice ones at that. I'm guesing the closer one was an 8pt, with atleast a 17 inch spread. The other was i think a ten point. Anyway they ran off. Do you guys think they will be back? I dont think they caught my scent i think the saw me. Also it was raining so i think that would have kept my scent to a minimial. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kicked Up two nice bucks...will they be back?

In my opinion - they have already forgotten you were ever there so your brief encounter will not effect their decision to come back or not --- the rest is up to them.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

This time of year.... not to fret. Now if you knock them out of there too often and or several days in a row they'll probably move... but at this time of year not far. When hunting season comes they'll probably have relocated anyway following the food or just separating.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

They'll be back. When they shed there velvet and break apart they probably won't even be on your property anymore though.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:39 PM

I can't remember where I read this but... Last year I was reading something from a deer biologist and they had studied deer memory. They said that if you spook a deer after 30 seconds or a minute they have totally forgotten what startled them in the first place. Did anyone else happen to see that article, or have any input?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:16 PM

I wouldn't sweat it....this time of year. Make a mental note of where they were, sounds like you found a good area. Now find how they are moving to and from that spot....

Chances are, come hunting season these two bucks will not be in the same spot, but one of them may...good luck!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt worry about it, they might have been decent deer, but trophy bucks dont stomp, snort, or wave their tale, they just slip on by or lay still. So young bucks tend to forget alot more than that trophy buck that you dont know that is there.