Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting

Old 07-20-2004, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Baiting

Here in the great state of Texas, I don't know of anybody that doesn't feed corn to the deer out of feeders. It gives them required energy through the winter months. (yeah I know it doesn't snow in the Hill Country) But to say it doesn't bring out mature deer is a fallacy. It sure does. One of the main purposes of using corn is to establish a feeding station for does. During the rut when the big boys are seeking out the hot does they may come to where you are feeding giving you a chance at a good buck. I have been feeding 750 lbs of protein a month since March to the deer on my land and will stop at the end of August. This promotes antler growth and also helps does that are lactating. Would ya'all call this baiting by supplying nurishment to your herd?
Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use a natural bait............APPLE TREES!!! AND PERSIMON TREES.!!
ACORN TREES, RED AND WHITE!!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:45 PM

up in lake city we have self made gravity feeders a rectangular box with a notch in the bottom. when the deer eat whats on the ground more falls out until there is enough to hold it in. we have deer pellets and corn mixed together the deer love it.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:09 PM

If it is legal in your state I have nothing gainst it! I would use corn from a feeder for deer.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:46 PM

If you are hunting over any food source, you are hunting over "bait" (either natural or deliberately put there by man) Many huge bucks have been killed over "bait". To "bait" something in, is simply to lure them in with something (food, calls, lure, ect.)."Baiting" is just as ethical as any other legal hunting means. And, if done right, just as hard as not "baiting". You still have to scout and do everything you do without "bait". Almost all of us hunters do without realizing it or calling it "baiting".IMO.
While this may be true, you have to take into account that one is natural and one isn't. One changes a deer's natural pattern and one doesn't. Deer go to their usual feeding areas because it's their natural pattern. They feed in farmer's fields because that's what they've always done. You spend countless hours scouting a certain buck who comes out every night right before dark only to find that someone has put out a pile of corn somewhere back in the woods which he decides to go to before he heads to the corn field like he usually does. I have no problem with osmeone who hunts a NATURAL food source, but when someone disrupts the pre-established patterns of the deer, that's when I have a problem.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:49 PM

There are lots of tjings you can use for bait. Most people use corn, you can even buy it at Wal-mart durring hunting season. Some people use sweet potateos .carrots, cabbage, peanut butter, raw peanuts, ect. ect. ect. I personally have had the most sucsess with apples. I get them from the produce stand beside the road for $5.00 a bushel. I think he buys them by the truck load and picks through them to get the bad ones out. then he sells the bad ones for deer apples. I usualy scatter the apples around.I quarter 4 or five apples to start with to get the smell in the air and put the rest out whole. The quarters always get gone first. I also put corn out with the apples but they don,t eat the corn until the apples are gone.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

While this may be true, you have to take into account that one is natural and one isn't. One changes a deer's natural pattern and one doesn't. Deer go to their usual feeding areas because it's their natural pattern. They feed in farmer's fields because that's what they've always done. You spend countless hours scouting a certain buck who comes out every night right before dark only to find that someone has put out a pile of corn somewhere back in the woods which he decides to go to before he heads to the corn field like he usually does. I have no problem with osmeone who hunts a NATURAL food source, but when someone disrupts the pre-established patterns of the deer, that's when I have a problem.

It isn't natural if someone planted it there. Putting a food source anywhere (even "natural"), will change a deers natural pattern(disrupting the pre-established patterns of deer). So if someone planted a foodplot back in the woods which altered the deers behavior, that would be o.k.? Is there really a difference here(other than time and money)? Or am I missing something.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its legal in your state fine, its not here in Minnesota. I don't agree when people state that hunting a corn field, oak tree with acorns, bean field ......... is the same as baiting. Its not the same. When you bait you have a specific spot to hunt. The deer must come to that specific spot. Corn fields are huge, small ones are hundreds of acres, the deer can go to any one of a zillion places. Same in my woods, 160 acres of oaks, the acorns are everywhere. Plus deer can browse on leaves and grasses wherever they roam. On a bait pile its a spot. I don't have a problem with baiting, I just don't think its the same.

Good Luck to all!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:26 PM

It isn't natural if someone planted it there. Putting a food source anywhere (even "natural"), will change a deers natural pattern(disrupting the pre-established patterns of deer). So if someone planted a foodplot back in the woods which altered the deers behavior, that would be o.k.? Is there really a difference here(other than time and money)? Or am I missing something.
No, to me it's not ok, which is another reason I don't do it. I've thought about it, but I consider it baiting and I decided not to do it. I'm not going to get into the same argument I always do. If you want to bait, go ahead, I'm not going to stop you. I'm not going to continue to argue about it either. This will be my last post in this thread.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Washington hunter....I agree.....I'm not going to hunt over bait but if its legal in ones state..you gotta let them.

Have a great season!

Quick Reply: Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.