Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting?

Old 10-20-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Baiting?

hey i was wondering what kind of baits work to bring deer in.
i would like to go hunting around the first week of november and i have this small field that i usually find alot of deer tracks in.
i wanna know what i can put in this field which is kinda overgrown with small trees now that will make deer come in?
or i can just try calling in a deer with doe calls and doe in estrus scents cuz i hear that the rut starts in november?
any help would be appreciated
Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Baiting?

Corn will do it.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

First you have to make sure that baiting is legal in your state. If so, just go and throw some corn out, make sure to scatter it around and the deer will find it. Just make sure that if you are going to bait the area, that you continue to do so, otherwise the deer will go else where looking for food.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM

Corn all the way. Ive been hearing alot about this rice bran though. They say they love it just as much as corn and it's $5.00 for 100 lbs versus 3.99 for 50 lbs of corn.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Dont resort to baiting! That is just the lazy way, put some time and find the deer, it will be a lot more rewarding. Anyone can go sit over a stupid cornpile.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:14 PM

oh..uuhh forgot to put some info in..
im from canada in nova scotia cape breton so deer around here dont have corn to feed on.
i heard someone around here uses peanut butter?
i was thinking about going up around the first or second week of november.
i had one spot where i knew the deer beds and major deer trails were and also found some scrapes in but now theres a house thats like 200 yards from this spot now and im not sure if they would let me hunt in their backyard now.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DarkDawg

oh..uuhh forgot to put some info in..
im from canada in nova scotia cape breton so deer around here dont have corn to feed on.
i heard someone around here uses peanut butter?
i was thinking about going up around the first or second week of november.
i had one spot where i knew the deer beds and major deer trails were and also found some scrapes in but now theres a house thats like 200 yards from this spot now and im not sure if they would let me hunt in their backyard now.
So you guys grow peanut butter in Novia Scotia but not corn?

They will eat the corn, trust me.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:56 PM

YELLOW GOLD (corn) and they will come, but expect to see big boy there during the daylight hours. good luck
Old 10-20-2005, 03:03 PM

alright i'll try getting a hold of some corn somewhere and try it out..
lol about the peanut butter i heard that down here one of my friends dad put a jar of peanut butter on a tree...he drilled a hole in the bottom of the jar and nailed it to a tree and he said the deer licked the jar clean.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: passthrough24

Dont resort to baiting! That is just the lazy way, put some time and find the deer, it will be a lot more rewarding. Anyone can go sit over a stupid cornpile.

Guess everyones entitled to their opnion but people should realize that thngs just arent the same everywhere. Most of the places I hunt wth a bow are pretty small properties because thats whats here. Now I'm not saying you always need to bait them but it happens alot that the deer are just over the line & the neighbor wont grant permision to hunt. A feed block or some corn can up your chances especially once the acorns are gone.
Nuther thing is if baitings legal where your at then chances are everyone else is doing it & if you want to see deer you better give up some goodies.
Aint as easy as those who never did it think either. They treat it just like any food source & if you dont know where theyre coming from or the winds wrong you'll get busted just the same. You also need to be in an area where deer are, its not like they have homing devices. If theres no deer there you can dump corn till your blue in the face only to feed the squirrels & birds.
If you can find some horse food to start with it'll help as its smellier than corn & the deer will find it faster, or apples. I feed them corn, apples, horse food, pumpkins, squash, just about anything that tastes good will work once they know about it & alot of the stuff can be had for free.
Apples I'v been getting for the past few weeks from different properties that I saw the trees & offered to clean up the apples from the grass & driveways for free of course. Pumkins, after halloween theyre all over the place & easy to find, corn I gotta pay for tho.

I usta do alot of yardwork locally & its sure paid off.

Quick Reply: Baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.