Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My First Bow Kill!!!! >

My First Bow Kill!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My First Bow Kill!!!!

Old 05-17-2004, 06:15 AM

Default RE: My First Bow Kill!!!!

Squirrel hunter, as you get older, you'll learn a bit about being "politically correct". I see nothing wrong about what you did. It's just that when you post it on a forum, you can expect a lot of flack from those who don't view things the same. Many will pick out certain words that you use, and feel the need to reprimand you. Killing things, is a touchy subject, even among hunters.

I remember being 12 (vaguely), and I would have to say, the most fun I ever had was getting my BB gun for Christimas, and going out and hunting small animals with it. I hardly ever shot anything big enough to actually eat, though I tried on a few of them. I desperately wanted to be like my Dad, to bring home the meat for dinner. It was a learning process, and it didn't take long for me to grow into a real hunter. After just a couple years, I never shot anything I couldn't eat, unless it involved varmit or predator control. I saw this same progression with many of my friends. Even so, to this day, if some varmit is eating my garden, I will kill it.

It sounds to me like you are a good kid and although I wouldn't worry about shooting garden-raiding varmits, I'd probably emphasize the "raiding" part of the post, instead of the killing part. Like I said, killing is a touchy subject, even around here. It's good to learn the art of tip-toeing through some subjects.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrats on a damned fine shot Joe ,
maybe someday I'll be able to shoot as well . BTW , thanks for crushing it's head when you saw that it wasn't dead , very sportsmanlike . I would have done exactly the same so that the poor thing wouldn't suffer longer , had to do the same with a kitten my younger brother crippled once .

Don't let the PC police get to you , some folks are a little sensitive when it comes to blood , unless they're the ones spilling it . Dig into the archives and look at some of their less than PC posts , you'll get plenty of chuckles if you do .
Old 05-17-2004, 10:47 AM

Here's my 2 cents on the issue. My beef has nothing to do with SH91's shot or anything else. it's all the people that claim he ought to respect his elders.

My thoughts on that issue are thus:

I give no one respect that does not give it to me. Just because Squirrel is 12 does not mean that a guy who is 40 is allowed to disrespect him. And it works both ways. I remember when I was a kid and in Indian Guides, our group was playing basket ball or dodge ball or something similar. One of the dad's continually made fun of me until I stopped the game and chewed his butt. His argument to my dad was that my dad ought to teach me to respect my elders. Well, I figured that this wasn't my dad's beef, it was mine. I told him that he wasn't my elder. My Dad was my elder. I respected my Dad. I didnt' respect people that made fun of little kids (probably 8 at the time). if he had treated me with respect as most of the dad's did, I would have NEVER said anything of the sort. So, the whole "elder" argument doesn't hold up with me. I don't care if you are 14 or 84...if you don't show me respect, you won't get it from me.

I think that everyone that has been harsh to SQ91 needs to lighten up. He posts here and does a fantastic job. let his father worry about raising him. You have no idea about what his father told him after he killed the chipmunk. You have no idea whether his father instills in him a need to thank God for the kill, which by the way, is not necessary for everyone.

so, ease up a bit --- if anyone needs to I think it is all the people judging squirrell.

beej
Old 05-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are too funny!!!

Good shot Squirrelhunter91.