Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ? on after the kill >

? on after the kill

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? on after the kill

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ? on after the kill

Been thinking about this for a couple weeks and wanted to see what your thoughts were. How much scent is left after the kill and dragging out a deer? Tonight I plan on hunting a property that has tons of buck sign including many pics on the trail cam. My stand in on the edge of amajor bedding area and I was worried about shooting a doe and having it go into the bedding area where I would have to go in and drag it out. This place is over run with does and there is a pretty good chance of having a shot on one of the big nanny's. Would this hurt my chances of keeping the bucks out of this area?Should I hunt one of the other farmsfor does? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Default RE: ? on after the kill

The bucks are gonna bewhere the does areduring the 3 rut phases no matter what you do, so I say whack away!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM

Don't screw up a good buck spot by killing does. It's not so much the dead deer smell as yours that will keep them away. If you go tromping around in there blood trailing, field dressing, and dragging.....You're leaving a ton of stink behind. If you plan on hunting that spot hard during the rut trying to kill a buck......don't shoot the does. If you want a doe, go somewhere else.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Wednesday I killed a doe and gutted her and dragged her out. On Saturday I went back out and found a couple fresh rubs within 25 yards of where I gutted her. I still think a big part of it is scent control. You still have to be conscience of your scent. The deers scent doesnt matter that much. I say send that arrow home. Just keep in mind your scent.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with mobow its not the deers scent but yours that matters. I dont think i would be wanting to tromp through a big bucks bedroom this time of the year. Besides there is plenty of time to whack a few does later.