Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 How many of you kill with a 45# bow? >

How many of you kill with a 45# bow?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How many of you kill with a 45# bow?

Old 02-23-2006, 09:55 PM
bigcountry

Default How many of you kill with a 45# bow?

Thinking of getting a longbow. How many of you guys kill deer with a 45# bow? I see some of you all have longbows cranked up to 65#.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:48 AM

Default RE: How many of you kill with a 45# bow?

I know guys that shoot 45 and kill deer...... I believe it's on the very edge of being exceptable...... If you can hit exactly where you're looking, you will be fine......
Old 02-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

A longbow at 45 pounds will kill any deer. You have to be a bit more selective about what shots you take. You'll need to be close enough so you can place your arrow 'right there.'I'd question penetrationpower past 25 yards or so anyway. You'll have to put just a little more thought into your broadhead selection... And for hog hunting,I'd probably let a larger boar - say, bigger than 250 pounds -walk rather than risk a shot. I'd set my sights on smaller boars and sows.

A heavier bow's extra power opens up a few less than ideal shot angles, makes broadhead selection less critical and lets you hunt bigger animals andstretch out as far as your effective accuracy distance allows. It also helps guys with a less than ideal release get off the string cleaner, but that's a whole 'nuther issue.

After many years and many injuries, along with the onset of arthritis,my shoulders have forced me back to 45 pounds. I'm making a serious evaluation of my broadhead inventory.Dr. Ashby's reports on his broadhead effectiveness studies have me thinking seriously about changing from Magnus II tothe 100 gn Grizzly.I've already got all the other stuff taken care of.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I know a lady in PA (actually know her and her husband, and hope to visit with them some this summer) who killed a nice water buck and a record book gemsbok with her 47@26 longbow. Both of these animals are way bigger than a whitetail. I don't remember on the waterbuck, but I know on the gemsbok her broadhead was sticking out the far side.

It's second hand info, but I know guys in AK and Canada and they have told be about guys there killing moose with 45# trad bows. I'd have to get a few under my belt before I tried that though!

Consider arrow flight, shot placement, and broadhead--get these right and you should do fine even on those monster MD whitetails.

Chad
Old 02-24-2006, 07:33 AM

took a doe this yr at 15yds with my recurve , which is #45.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:31 AM
bigcountry

Hmm, kinda concerned. I figure everybody would jump on here and say 45 would be perfect. But I feel I need to start out that low. Maybe 50#.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't be concerned like that. 50 pounds might be perfect for one guy. 75 might be perfect for another. It could be that 45 pounds is perfect for you.A45 pound bow that you can handle easily and shoot well is a lot more deadly than a 65 pound bow that you struggle with. It's just that whenyou're on the lower end of the power scale, you have to hunt a little smarter, be a little more careful with broadhead selection and rely more on finesse.

You also have to keep in mind that not all bows are created equal. A good, snappy45 pounder can throw the same arrow with more force and speed than adog of a 55 pounder.

I failed to mention in my other post that 45 pounds was a very popular draw weight for deer bows back in the 60's.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
bigcountry

Well, I am buying something soon. I would just like to not buy something to learn onand then have to buy something else later. And these badboys are so expensive. I figured I would have all year to work on it. And if I am not ready by fall, just go back to my training wheels.

I want something very traditional. Not a modern recurve which I have shot.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 AM

Maybe 50#.
I've been shooting my #45 for about a yr now. I am currently looking for a new bow , which will be #55. There is no "let off" on a traditional ( as I'm sure you know ) so when you pull #45 or #55 its really that weight. I was surprised by how long you don't/can't hold your draw on a trad.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since I doubt there are any shops around you that carry a good selection of traditional bows, I'd suggest going to an all-traditional shoot. Let it be known you're considering trying traditional and would like to try your hand with a longbow. Guys will be practically lining up to let you shoot their bows. You'll be able to try a lot of different draw weights and bow styles in a very short time. That way you'll have a better idea of what draw weight will be best for you to start with. You might very well be able to handle a 50 pounder, or even more.

Quick Reply: How many of you kill with a 45# bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.