Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Standing or Sitting ? >

Standing or Sitting ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Standing or Sitting ?

Old 04-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Standing or Sitting ?

I've always stood for my shots too.

It cost me this year. I had 6 does come straight across the field directly at me. I couldn't stand because I would've been seen, but I did have my bow in hand. The biggest doe--the one I wanted--stepped into a shooting lane and I attempted to draw sitting . . . AND COULDN'T!

I don't know if I was just cold or what, but I couldn't get the bow to break over from my sitting position. I had to let down, but was busted by a smaller doe further back. After they left, I was able to draw the bow after considerable effort. The bow weight is WELL with-in my limits and I drew it many times since from a sitting position, but I'll be more prepared this year.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

I do almost all of my practicing standing.The deer I took this year caught me sitting.I found with the extra clothing and the position I was in that my draw was a little to long for that shot.I got the deer but I also learned something.Ron
Old 04-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I sit most of the time and I also sit over a small food plot so I can take all my shots sitting down so if you have limited shooting areas then I would sit and shoot so you dont take the chance of scareing the deer away.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I allways try to shot standing, but I can shoot sitting down. Just work on your sitdown shooting thus summer
Old 04-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on the situation. I practice both ways and feel comfortable taking a shot either way.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Spike

I Try to stand as much as possible when in my treestand..I think i can be quiter and movement isnt as much of a problem..i sit every 30 minutes to and hour. just to give the legs a rest..i do practice sitting shots though because you never know when a big buck will appear...i find i group better while standing, there is just more to go wrong when sitting.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:58 AM

The only time I sit, is to take a short break from standing. If a deer comes in and doesn't present a shot, then moves to your other side, you will make a lot of noticable movement to move to the other side, if sitting. Your turning radius will also be more restricted and the bow will be more likely to hit your leg, or treestand on the shot. It's also too darn easy to fall asleep or daydream while sitting. In my opinion, standing is much better while in a treestand, and it's best to be already standing when the deer comes in.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember the last time I took a standing shot from a tree stand. I sit & I also have my bow lay across my legs (seldom hang it on the bow hanger).

Old 04-13-2004, 10:48 AM

I prefer to sit while I shoot! It does take more upper body strength to shoot sitting down, but there is minimal movement...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I generally prefer to be standing at the shot however I've learned the importance of practicing sitting down. The last few deer I've tagged were shot while I remained seated. Myles Keller, deerhunting legend, says that he prefers to remain seated at the shot. He states that it gives him a more solid, non moving shot. I found it surprising that the greatest whitetailer in history wouldn't always be standing up?