Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Treestand Safety Question

Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Treestand Safety Question

I just purchased a hang on tree stand (my first one) and reading the instructions and watching the video, they claim you cannot leave your stand up for more than 2 weeks on one tree because the tree growth can compromise the safety of the strap/chain etc... Does anyone actually do this, or is it just a liability thing, I planned on sticking this stand up along with some ladder stands and leaving them up for a couple months. Any thoughts?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Treestand Safety Question

Hangon's
Well to tell you the truth I've had my stands up anually for 13 years but in between I've taken them down and did repairs as needed. The only thing about leaving them in is that the tree will grow and could get stuck onto the tree as the tree grows in diameter.The chain is only so long and will dig in to the tree ,then you'll need to cut it off. Also if you use tree steps they'll tend to get grown over by the bark which in turn will be one heck of a pain to get out, I know cause I've done it,LOL.So yeah you can let them stay up for more than2 weeks, unles your from some weird kinda place where the tree's grow crazy fast. Good luck and good hunting. Don't forget to wear a safety belt while on stand, Take care and I hope this helps.
God Bless
Youngfart
Old 07-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well for one thing, trees don't growthat fast.
I use hang - ons too one has a strap the other a chain, with the strap once you have it up in your tree do a safety check every time you get in it.
Make sure the strap is thight and if it had streached just tighten back up get in your stand, if it feels wobblely or unstable make some adjustments.
You don't have to worry to much with the chain kind once you havethose good and tight , they'll stay that way all season.
For a little extra added safety I'll use some rachet straps for the bottom part near the platform on each stand.
You can find those at any sporting good store or where they sell sporting goods.
I hope all this information helps you and others that read it, good luck and be safe out there.
May God Bless each and everyone of us this fall season and everyday.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Banned

Just check the straps ,if there are any, to make sure a squirrel hasn't gnawed on them. Just don't leave out year around as the elements will degrade your property and yes eventually a tree will grow. A couple of months is fine though. If you are going hunting in Oct 1, then the 1st of Sept is plenty of time to hang them and they can hang until Jan when all of the season is over. I have done this for years in the past. I now only leave ladder stands out year around and go portable with a climbing stick setup and alight hangon that goes and comes out with me each time or a climber. I have found by doing thisI never overhunt one stand. If you only have one stand, I would use this method and forget about putting it out until the hunt; otherwise the deer are going to be onto you in a hurry. HCH
Old 07-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

BTW; Welcome to the forum!!!HCH
Old 07-28-2006, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I had planned on leaving it up for the season, (about 4 months). I have a few ladder stands up so I will have a few different spots to choose from and I wont overhunt the hang on. The whole 2 week thing seemed a little rediculous to me!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My hang on stands with straps I put up a month or two before season and take them down as soon as possible once the season is over. As others have said just check your straps.With a chain on stand I don't have a problem with leaving them out for longer periods of time.

Once I bring either type in I checkthe welds,fasteners, lube up any moving parts with cooking oil, and touch up any rust spots with sandpaper and paint.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hang mine in July and take them down in Nov. Left one up all year with no noticable ill effects although I'm gonna be careful to inspect it before use.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

You'll be fine leaving it out for the season. I don't recommend all year though. It just adds more BS to deal with. Having to cut the straps/chains, rust build-up and possibility of rust eating thry chains or the stand itself. Not worth your life to be too lazy to jerk a stand down every year.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:16 AM

Being an Arborist I don't know of any trees that grow that fast as to have a problem with them. The only thing that may become a problem over time is if yours uses nylon straps that may weaken from over exposure to sunlight. Just remove stands at end of season and check them over carefully.

Quick Reply: Treestand Safety Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.