Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TREESTAND SAFETY DRIVE

Old 12-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default TREESTAND SAFETY DRIVE

I have just gotten tired of hearing of greatly preventable "accidents" involving falls from treestands so I asked myself what I could do to try and help.

As a Illinois hunting safety instructor I am kind of shocked that treestand safety has only been added to our course this year as the most likely injury when deer hunting will involve a treestand. 80% ofinjuries involving treestands occur when either climbing into or out of the stand.

Somy poll and attempt to help this situation out is simple. Please go tothe Treestand Maunfacturers Association and take the online treestand safety course (http://www.tmastands.com/). It won't take long at all.

Then simplly answer the poll.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 AM

Default RE: TREESTAND SAFETY DRIVE

I always knew something was missing in my life......Now I am complete.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Common sense dictates my actions when using a tree stand.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty much just common sense but it never hurts to remind ourselves about safety.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I was truly disappointed that they gave actual treestand safety tips as what seemed as an afterthought. It starts with how to use a harness, how to use a climber, how to use a ladder and how to recover from a fall. Then it seemed like oh crap, might give some hints and tips on how to avoid falling. Sure harnesses work, but there is limited need for them to work if you don't take unneccsary risks. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of that 82% figure had extenutaing circumstances as to why they fell and should not have even been in the tree in the first place (ie sick,medicated, tired, poor tree etc).

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Nonsense, teedub31. As someone that is very careful while in the stand, I can tell you personally that they work. Much like car accidents, nobody plans on falling from a tree stand. Even if you're in good shape and careful, as I am, it's still possible to momentarily lose your balance, slip on some ice, etc. All it takes is once. Nobody is flawless; everybody makes a mistake from time to time, and it's that one time where you had better be wearing your harness.

Phrased another way, there is no good reason for NOT wearing a safety harness. You do this community, especially new hunters, a disservice by challenging the need for harnesses.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's right not everyone needs a harness only the people who fall. Seeing as noone can predict who will or won't fall it only makes sense to have everyone wear a harness.

I value my life and the use of my limbs to much to risk not wearing a harness because I think its too much of a hassle to put on. If its the difference of getting in late or not wearing a harness I'd rather get in late or not go every time.

I'm carefull when climbing. However, I have times I rush things. I'm only human. If taking 2 minutes to put that harness on saves me from injury or death.... No brainer.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: UPHunter08

Nonsense, teedub31. As someone that is very careful while in the stand, I can tell you personally that they work. Much like car accidents, nobody plans on falling from a tree stand. Even if you're in good shape and careful, as I am, it's still possible to momentarily lose your balance, slip on some ice, etc. All it takes is once. Nobody is flawless; everybody makes a mistake from time to time, and it's that one time where you had better be wearing your harness.

Phrased another way, there is no good reason for NOT wearing a safety harness. You do this community, especially new hunters, a disservice by challenging the need for harnesses.
I never once challenged the need to not wear a harness. I challenged the common sense of people that feel that they need to be in a tree all the time. As the website stated, if it is icy DONT GET IN THE TREE. If your sick DON'T GET IN THE TREE. If you work 3rd trick and just pulled a double and decide to get an am hunt in DON'T GET IN THE TREE.Thesehunters are most likely the ones that have"accidents", if stupidity can be called an accident. Legititmate accidental falls are rare. Most are the results of risky action.The promotional use of harnesses just enables people to take risks that otherwise they may not
Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Good test. Answered some of my questions from my thread.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM

teedub31 and like-minders:

First off, I will keep you in my daily prayers that I never hear a story of one of you falling from a treestand.

Secondly, hopefully you have the common sense to stay out of a tree if, or when, you are not wearing a safety harness. If not, you need to be standing in front of a mirror and reading you posts to yourself.

To me, safety is the single most important aspect of hunting. Whether it is hunting from a stand, handling of a firearm, driving to and from my property, riding the ATV to and from stand locations, etc. I have taken the Hunter's Safety course, of which I legally didn't have to do in my state due to my date of birth. I will sit through it again withmy 7 year-old after the first of the year before buying him his first gun. And then with my 4 year-old and 1 year-old when their time comes.

There are too many unpredictable things that happen. All too often you hear ofaccidents and/or mistakesthat result in the untimely death of a fellow sportsman. Stupid (as you call them) or not, I take this to heart. We are a brotherhood of individuals linked by a common love for the outdoors and the habitants of it. Every action eachone of us takes reflects on all of us as a whole.