Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ground blinds

Old 01-28-2002, 07:37 PM

Default ground blinds

Anybody still like hunting on the ground,what do you use.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ground blinds

yup, natural cover sometimes doctored up a bit with whats available. Last fall I plopped under my ole spruce tree and 21 minutes later had a nice fat buck at 7 steps with an arrow through his heart! A bit of tall grass and that spruce tree, along with the rest along my ole mans fenceline was all I needed.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:40 PM

Got to agree with Lilhunter. I think natural cover is the way to go. Deer are familiar with natural cover. In my woods, there are alot of vines. In some decent areas there are fallen trees with vines drapped all around. I hunt from a tree stand, but often thought about clearing a spot for myself in the tee-pee of vines.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been using a ground blind now for three
years and would not go back to a tree stand
Im a big person and have had good luck so
far on all types of game. I use a Penthouse
from ameristep and really like it!
Old 01-29-2002, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Every once in a while I'll find a spot that's just perfect for sitting on the ground. Yesterday I just settled into a very small blowdown on my turkey seat and leaning against a tree. I have a couple ditches that go thru the middle of a field that's always good for one or two exciting hunts a year. I just use some sticks or lims leaned in the brush to give me a little cover. Getting a constant wind direction and odor are the biggest problems. Seems like half the time I set up on the ground I'll sit there for 2 hours, it'll become the "witching hour" and the damn wind will do a 180 and ruin the set-up. It is fun to be a ground level with them once in a while. I spend so much time above them in a treestand the change of pace is fun.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:50 AM

I've shot all my deer from the ground, natural cover works the best!
Old 01-29-2002, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

i like natural cover as well b/c i don't carry my stand everywhere. i have recently bought a ground blind and they are excellent. it conceals your movement very well and beats just sitting in front of a tree.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:16 AM

I like to get out in the spring and doctor up some windfalls in areas that l picked out the previous season. This lets the deer get use to any changes that I make. I also like to hunt out of some round hay bales that I set up on the edge of the field. This works great on cold windy days. Ground blinds can offer great close shots! Lots of fun.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:22 AM

I love hunting from the ground. I have taken most of my bucks from the ground. This year a 5x5 and 4x4 both from the ground. The only thing I shot out of my treestand this season was my cow elk. I use natural cover for the most part and set up my blinds during the summer. I did purchase a double bull blind last year, because I wanted to add more mobility to my setups. I like the double bull a lot, because it sets up in seconds and is water resistent. It rains quite a bit here. Its a little expensive, but I looked at many different blinds and even had the salesmen set em up for me, so I could critique them. The Double was by far the best built of any I tried out. I ended up forking out more money than I wanted, but felt like I will never have to buy another blind again.

Shed
Old 01-29-2002, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a few deer from the ground, and I think if guys would just put as much effort into ground hunting that they put into stand hunting...the seccess rate would be close.

Wind, concealment of movement, and blind placement is crucial...just like in a tree stand.