Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Fork Horn

just cause a weapon takes longer to master doesnt mean squat day or a month no biggy just like a car automatic you aint driving a real truck or car but now a manual thats a real vehicle not a slob driver...but i do think recurve and longbows are in a class by them selves guess cause the letoff factor and the range and the time they took to be proficiant with them...two weeks to a month you will be able to hunt with compound or crossbow

but the again i think the browns will win the superbowl before i die
Old 06-29-2010, 05:35 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
First of all, it's not up to me, it's up to the state to decide what you can use during the rut. Just as it is up to them as to whether they allow center fire rifles at all. Just as it is theirs to decide what minimum arrow weight, minimum bullet diameter, minimum draw weight, minimum arrow length, minimum broadhead diameter, season dates, bag limits, buck or doe seasons/tags, hunting license prices, so on and so on and so on..
Hey captain obvious, if you didn't want to participate in the discussion, you could have kept your mouth shut and not looked stupid like you are. Of course its up to the state, we all know that, thats what were discussing. KEEP UP

Second, hunt with what every your state says you can hunt with during the rut. I hunt with my rifle during the Rut every year down here in Florida because I can. I shot my largest deer to date during the rut with my .270. But if i were limited to archery equipment then I'd buy archery equipment if I wanted to hunt.

Whether he is Joe Hunter or Joe Army Hunter doesn't matter. If he wants to hunt in the rut he is going to have to go to some sporting goods store in one of the 50 states and plop down $500 - $1000 for either a gun, ML or bow set up depending on what your state allows.
Before archery made its comeback, most sportsman homes had a rifle to be used for deer hunting. All of mine did. Rifles passed down. But to protect your industry, now you want the hunter to go and spend a pile more. Kinda like a Bigbulls goverment bailout I guess. In other words for those that have trouble keeping up, the rifle was the norm. And for those who have issues keeping up, if you had some experience under your belt, you would realize most states cater the rut around archery gear. But obviously you didn't know that, you only know flordia. Geez, real shocker.

Feel free to quote where I said that I am for magnified scopes on archery equipment. As far as red dots go I am pretty sure they are legal in nearly every state on the other style of bows. I know that they are here in Florida and Alabama.

Nice attempt at putting words in my mouth.
Try harder next time because this time you FAIL.
BB, what do you think most arrow gun hunters are putting on thier arrow guns? Tell yourself whatever you need to help you feel brighter. You need all the help you can get.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have absolutely run out of things relevant to say so now you are resorting to calling me stupid. Go figure. It's so typical of someone that has failed to make their point and now you are backed into a corner and this is all you have left to do.

You completely ignore anything I have to say about the subject such as you attempt in vain to put words in my mouth. But that's OK.

I'm done with trying to have a discussion with you. Enjoy living with yourself and your narcissism.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 AM
bigcountry

You have absolutely run out of things relevant to say so now you are resorting to calling me stupid. Go figure. It's so typical of someone that has failed to make their point and now you are backed into a corner and this is all you have left to do.

You completely ignore anything I have to say about the subject such as you attempt in vain to put words in my mouth. But that's OK.

I'm done with trying to have a discussion with you. Enjoy living with yourself and your narcissism.
Not in the least. Point was made time and time again. Your point was, "well technically it has string, so should be allowed in archery season". And thats it. You have stood by this the whole time. You haven't brought anything else to the table except to tell yourself how you are so much more superior than the rest of us.

My point was clear, archery seasons started with tradition of archery. You know those guys, Pope, Young and Maurice, bear, Hill, Roy Case, Pearson. Maybe you don't know or care to know who they are. I would love to know how those guys would have felt with how thier pioneering work has paid off. Without these guys, there would have been no resurgence of archery and special archery seasons catering around prime times of the rut in the US. Who knows maybe these pioneers who did it the hard way would have saw it your way bigbulls and said "hey, it has a string, good enough tradition for us". I kinda doubt it. Or Pope would have just shot those lions in Africa with with a 416 Rigby like most people. Or maybe they would have laughed at me and my opinions and said, "whatever is the easiest way possible and still has a string and shoots an arrow". Anyone that has ever read about these folks, I doubt would have come to that conclusion. But somehow you have.

I seriously doubt that in 1934 in WI, when the first special archery season came in the US, that they would have ever thought it would have came to this. But folks like you made sure it did.

The man who is the godfather of our beloved archery season specifically added regulation against crossbows. Roy Case in WI in 1934. Wonder why?

Last edited by bigcountry; 06-29-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard it all when Kentucky opened a xbow season a few years ago. Reasons for and reasons against. It was a bloody discussion with a lot of name calling and hurt feelings. I don't need to read any of the 11 or so pages already posted because I know what has been said.

Well after a few years have passed I can tell you this. It came in with a wimper and has made almost no difference.

The whole thing was bow hunters didnt want all the extra competition in "their" woods. Plain and simple....I heard some guys saying that scum gun hunters will just pick a xbow up and hit the woods and sling arrows at everything that walks.

For the most part everyone needs to just take a breath and support other hunters. If they do it different than you so what. Im a bow hunter but I still support the other guys choice to hunt with whatever they want and enjoy. Not everyone want the same challenge or we would all use stick bows. Enjoy the sport and be glad we had still have a sport to enjoy. Remember strength in numbers.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
bigcountry

As a native Kentuckian and one who hunts there, not everyone shares the idea it made no difference.

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
I heard it all when Kentucky opened a xbow season a few years ago. Reasons for and reasons against. It was a bloody discussion with a lot of name calling and hurt feelings. I don't need to read any of the 11 or so pages already posted because I know what has been said.

Well after a few years have passed I can tell you this. It came in with a wimper and has made almost no difference.

The whole thing was bow hunters didnt want all the extra competition in "their" woods. Plain and simple....I heard some guys saying that scum gun hunters will just pick a xbow up and hit the woods and sling arrows at everything that walks.

For the most part everyone needs to just take a breath and support other hunters. If they do it different than you so what. Im a bow hunter but I still support the other guys choice to hunt with whatever they want and enjoy. Not everyone want the same challenge or we would all use stick bows. Enjoy the sport and be glad we had still have a sport to enjoy. Remember strength in numbers.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
As a native Kentuckian and one who hunts there, not everyone shares the idea it made no difference.
All you have to do is look at the tele check numbers...facts are fact. Big country I have respected many of your post on here but you are off the deep end with all the hate and name calling bud.

Also unless you are a native American then your tradition arguement holds little water. We are a gun slinging bunch by tradition.

Bow season , in Ky is about 4 1/2 months long and still it has little impact on the deer herd. We can have such a long season because it has such a small impact. Thats why we don't have an open seaon for all weapons.

The thing is some like you want to tell others that if they don't put in the time and effort you do then they shouldn't be in the woods. Not everyone wants to make it as hard as you do. That doesn't make them scum.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Spike

I'm personally all for the use of crossbows in maryland. I'll still hunt with my compound. My father hasn't been able to hunt archery season with me for a few years now because of nerve damage he cant keep a bow steady enough. He's been lookin at some crossbows lately and might end up gettin one. It'll be great to have the old man back out the first day of archer, especially since its his birthday.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by BigLettx
I'm personally all for the use of crossbows in maryland. I'll still hunt with my compound. My father hasn't been able to hunt archery season with me for a few years now because of nerve damage he cant keep a bow steady enough. He's been lookin at some crossbows lately and might end up gettin one. It'll be great to have the old man back out the first day of archer, especially since its his birthday.
Why hasn't he used one for the past few years? Especially if he is disabled.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Spike

He isn't disabled, he just can't keep a steady hand. He's 65 years old, old age got to him. When archery season opens up he gets a little depressed. I know he wants to be back out in the woods with me like we had done almost every year since I was 4. This year though we'll be back out and with another hunter (my sister got married and her husband hunts)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.