Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
why native american? Folks in Northern Europe has been shooting the longbow long before native americans. They had some of the most advanced designs like the Holmgaard well over 2000 years ago. Then you have the famous ELB or English Warbow. Native Americans sure didn't have the market close to being cornered. We just got guns before they did.

Again, you got it wrong, I don't want to tell folks what to use. I want people to see the season for its humble beginnings and recongnize that. To see why the seasons began in the US and why it was so much longer than guns seasons. It was about tradition and doing something that took some skill. Read up about Roy Case from WI. Go to the WI archery association.

Its not all about wacking and stacking using the easiest way possible.

and if its not about tradition, then make it weapon of choice. At least we all won't be hypocrits. Lots of places have weapon of choice like Newfoundland. Sure hasn't hurt thier hunting numbers.
Why are you talking about the tradition in Norther Europe? We are talking about our hunting tradition in America. Deer hunting in America. We have no real tradition with a bow except in modern times. No time in American history have we used bows as a means of staying alive of than the indians. It was a sport that we started for more challenge. The xbow has the same tradition in the world only longer if you want to look at it that way. Even so, if you want to keep your tadition of bow hunting alive you can still do so. Adding the xbow does nothing to change that. Did adding a bow season stop the tradition of gun hunting? No....

Also since the xbow hunters in Ky only take about 1 percent of the deer taken, I dont think thats "wack and stack" them. Gun hunters are the meat and potatoes of deer hunting with about 90 % and bow hunters about 10 %. Bow hunting doesnt let us control deer numbers very well and doesnt make an impact so thats why we can have such a long season. Adding the xbow makes almost no impact so who does it hurt....Adding it doesnt take away from anyone who doesnt want to use one...like you and I.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 AM
bigcountry

You were trying to make the case that I have no tradition unless I am native american. But I beg to differ, I showed where no matter if you are native american, Scandanavian, Asian, or African, we all have a beloved tradition in archery and its humble beginnings. In fact, indians in the US came late to the scene. I highly suggest you read up on Howard Hill, Pope and Young, and see what these folks were about. The norm in thier time was using a rifle to kill deer. They did it differently for a different reason.

Roy Case is probably the founder of the US archery season. He was very much against crossbows in the WI bow season started in 1934. He made the case to the WI DNR that it required much more skill and time to harvest a deer hense the long season.

I have shot a crossbow, and it takes almost no skill to hit vitals up to 50 yards.

I highly suggest all of you try to understand where and how archery seasons in the various states came about.

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Why are you talking about the tradition in Norther Europe? We are talking about our hunting tradition in America. Deer hunting in America. We have no real tradition with a bow except in modern times. No time in American history have we used bows as a means of staying alive of than the indians. It was a sport that we started for more challenge. The xbow has the same tradition in the world only longer if you want to look at it that way. Even so, if you want to keep your tadition of bow hunting alive you can still do so. Adding the xbow does nothing to change that. Did adding a bow season stop the tradition of gun hunting? No....

Also since the xbow hunters in Ky only take about 1 percent of the deer taken, I dont think thats "wack and stack" them. Gun hunters are the meat and potatoes of deer hunting with about 90 % and bow hunters about 10 %. Bow hunting doesnt let us control deer numbers very well and doesnt make an impact so thats why we can have such a long season. Adding the xbow makes almost no impact so who does it hurt....Adding it doesnt take away from anyone who doesnt want to use one...like you and I.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You were trying to make the case that I have no tradition unless I am native american. But I beg to differ, I showed where no matter if you are native american, Scandanavian, Asian, or African, we all have a beloved tradition in archery and its humble beginnings. In fact, indians in the US came late to the scene. I highly suggest you read up on Howard Hill, Pope and Young, and see what these folks were about. The norm in thier time was using a rifle to kill deer. They did it differently for a different reason.

Roy Case is probably the founder of the US archery season. He was very much against crossbows in the WI bow season started in 1934. He made the case to the WI DNR that it required much more skill and time to harvest a deer hense the long season.

I have shot a crossbow, and it takes almost no skill to hit vitals up to 50 yards.

I highly suggest all of you try to understand where and how archery seasons in the various states came about.
So ask 100 bow hunters why they bow hunt and see how many say tradition. I bet very few. I love the up close challenge and being in the outdoors with the long season. I also trophy hunt to make it more of a challenge, It really doesn't matter why you bow hunt however.

What I don't understand is why you think you are giving up your tradition if someone else hunts the same time period with a xbow. Has no effect on what you do. Keep your tradition going...pass it on to your children. I understand your passion for the sport but I don't understand why you worry that others don't share the same passion. By the way...Im off the entire month of Nov. to bow hunt....gotta love it.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

So ask 100 bow hunters why they bow hunt and see how many say tradition. I bet very few. I love the up close challenge and being in the outdoors with the long season. I also trophy hunt to make it more of a challenge, It really doesn't matter why you bow hunt however.

What I don't understand is why you think you are giving up your tradition if someone else hunts the same time period with a xbow. Has no effect on what you do. Keep your tradition going...pass it on to your children. I understand your passion for the sport but I don't understand why you worry that others don't share the same passion. By the way...Im off the entire month of Nov. to bow hunt....gotta love it.
Wow, same arguement homosexuals make for thier lifestyle.

So one could also make sure same argument that allowing it to be weapons of choice season would not mess with your tradition. You could take off the entire month of Nov and hunt with your trusty compound and so could Billy Bob with his thirty thirty. Right?

What I don't understand is why you think you are giving up your tradition if someone else hunts the same time period with a gun?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 AM
bigcountry

I love the up close challenge and being in the outdoors with the long season.
And why do you think most states archery season is so long?

I know the reasonings it started that way. Do you?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since we have now crossed the Atlantic with this discussion lets also cross the Pacific. It looks like Chinese crossbow tradition goes back quite a long ways.

Remains of ancient Chinese hand held crossbow, 2nd century B.C.

Hey all you archers, to hell with all archery equipment. Lets get real steeped in tradition and make our own spears and loin cloths.

Traditionally this is how it was done for thousands of years until someone invented fiber glass, perfected the lamination process, invented the steel mill, invented the modern textile mill, invented a way to use aluminum and carbon for arrows.

This thread gets funnier and funnier the longer it goes on.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Since we have now crossed the Atlantic with this discussion lets also cross the Pacific. It looks like Chinese crossbow tradition goes back quite a long ways.

Remains of ancient Chinese hand held crossbow, 2nd century B.C.

Hey, I know to hell with all archery equipment. Lets get real steeped in tradition and make our own spears and loin cloths.

Traditionally this is how it was done for thousands of years until someone invented fiber glass, perfected the lamination process, invented the steel mill, invented the modern textile mill, invented a way to use aluminum and carbon for arrows.

BC, you make me laugh.
Lets see, that bow you show there could not be held under tension very long at all without extreme set or breakage. In fact it probably had sinew horn/wood core Prod. It was a weapon that was ****ed and immediately shot. No sites, no reddot, no laser. Hey, I would make that legal in archery, but that wouldn't be enough for guys like you. You need something thats easier to master. You make me laugh harder.

And here's the freakin punch line. You, yes, you, equate that picture to this. Your a walking punchline.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...079761hz01.jpg

Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of like equating a $1500 dollar carbon matrix compound with a 60"recurve or longbow.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Kind of like equating a $1500 dollar carbon matrix compound with a 60"recurve or longbow.
You may now be getting it some. I ain't holding my breath.

Your not going now to start using the arguement that since we have a carbon matrix, might as well let in this AR15 arrow gun are you? A person that would use that arguement would say mexicans are going to get in the country anyway, might as well make em citizens. I am just saying.

At least the person with the carbon matrix isn't too sorry enough that he can't pull the bow back before taking the shot.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see, that bow you show there could not be held under tension very long at all without extreme set or breakage. In fact it probably had sinew horn/wood core Prod. It was a weapon that was ****ed and immediately shot. No sites, no reddot, no laser. Hey, I would make that legal in archery, but that wouldn't be enough for guys like you. You need something thats easier to master. You make me laugh harder.

And here's the freakin punch line. You, yes, you, equate that picture to this. Your a walking punchline.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...079761hz01.jpg
Many recurve hunters argue that compound hunters are taking the easy route. They have fiber optic sights, trigger release, stabilizers, string suppressors, 80% let off, cams etc.. Just like shooting fish in a barrel, right? I mean, mastering a compound is much easier than a recurve.

Plus, compounds have extended ranges over recurves. It's just not true hunting if you ask many recurve guys. Compounds are too easy to master.

Many recurve purists also say you are cheating and shouldn't be allowed in archery. At the very least, you should have a limited season. How is this any different than what you are arguing?

Then there's the you don't have to draw in front of the game argument. What about all those compound guys that hunt from double bull blinds? The deer don't see them draw back.

If you shoot a recurve only then good for you. I just don't see why you aren't all over compound hunters for ease of use. I'm sure you're a great guy, but you seem really closed-minded about xbows.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; shoot what you like, but don't begrudge others for doing the same. Happy hunting!

Last edited by robbcayman; 06-30-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.